T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I have been wanting to make some new designs for a friends paintball business yet I have just not been able to put my ideas on virtual paper so far. I am using photoshop currently but it just isn't working quite right. I even tried just mocking up a design on paper and scanning it but it looked terrible once I got it on my computer.

I am looking at ways that I could essentially draw it on the computer with a pen so I wouldn't have to scan it, then I can make any necessary changes in Photoshop. Has anyone done designs this way before, and if so what did you use for your digital drawings? I have heard really good things about the Wacom Bamboo pads and the price point is amazing so I might grab one of those.

· Registered
1,521 Posts
Hey everyone, I have been wanting to make some new designs for a friends paintball business yet I have just not been able to put my ideas on virtual paper so far. I am using photoshop currently but it just isn't working quite right. I even tried just mocking up a design on paper and scanning it but it looked terrible once I got it on my computer.

I am looking at ways that I could essentially draw it on the computer with a pen so I wouldn't have to scan it, then I can make any necessary changes in Photoshop. Has anyone done designs this way before, and if so what did you use for your digital drawings? I have heard really good things about the Wacom Bamboo pads and the price point is amazing so I might grab one of those.
If I would see picture-scan which makes you problems I could probably give advice... Is it a line art, shapes? It all depends.

I use wacom intuos pro xl, but the one you are looking for would be very good for what you wanna do. It depends on what design you working on, but you can unlock true power with tools presets and brushes.

I have for example bunch of tool presets for line art, not to mention how much brushes I have(few of them are great). Here is jpg just for a taste. You can move slider down and get few more:

· Registered
1,534 Posts
Try Microsoft Expression Design. It’s discontinued and free to use, directly from Microsoft. Also, I recommend Serif’s DrawPlus for $25.00. Both feature excellent drawing tools with DrawPlus being the more complete of the two. Both work well with my Wacom Cintiq in Windows 7-10.

If you want to spend a little more money, the iPad Pro, Apple Pencil, and Procreate are amazing. Procreate has brush stabilization that is from another world. There’s nothing else like it. By the way, the very newest version of Photoshop finally has brush stabilization. Finally!

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses guys. I will try and find the mock ups I did, but I am pretty sure that the papers got thrown away and the files deleted when I got frustrated at it.

The Intuos looks a little out of budget for me as this is more of a side venture for the moment, but it is good to know that the Bamboo is still a good option.

I like the look of DrawPlus compared to Expression, I think I will give it a go in the future especially if it works well with drawing tablets. I think one of the issues is that I have never been that steady with a mouse ( when I play console games I always snipe but cannot do it to save my life on Steam haha) so I think I will take a look for a good priced Wacom tablet around me and see what happens next.

· Registered
1,521 Posts
Thanks for the responses guys. I will try and find the mock ups I did, but I am pretty sure that the papers got thrown away and the files deleted when I got frustrated at it.

The Intuos looks a little out of budget for me as this is more of a side venture for the moment, but it is good to know that the Bamboo is still a good option.

I like the look of DrawPlus compared to Expression, I think I will give it a go in the future especially if it works well with drawing tablets. I think one of the issues is that I have never been that steady with a mouse ( when I play console games I always snipe but cannot do it to save my life on Steam haha) so I think I will take a look for a good priced Wacom tablet around me and see what happens next.
You can also check for used ones. If top layer is not scratched, wacom is like new. Those things just wont die. But top layer gets scratches from pen and then pen sticks when you are doing drawing. You can replace that top layer quite cheap, but if you get used one with good unscratched top layer you made a good deal.

For testing waters this would maybe work.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You can also check for used ones. If top layer is not scratched, wacom is like new. Those things just wont die. But top layer gets scratches from pen and then pen sticks when you are doing drawing. You can replace that top layer quite cheap, but if you get used one with good unscratched top layer you made a good deal.

For testing waters this would maybe work.
Awesome, that sounds like exactly what I will do. Going to look up getting the screen replaced as well just for future knowledge. Thank you :)

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Thanks for all the advice everyone, I decided to go the used route and found myself a relatively new Wacom Bamboo that was just too small for its previous owner. So far I have just been messing around with it and seeing how it feels and I quite enjoy it. I have also downloaded Microsoft Expressions to test that with my new pad and it seems really good; the interface is user friendly-ish which is all I can ask for. Thanks again everyone :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.