T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my Dad has just co-signed for me to buy my first house. Besides a million thank you's to him, i would like to make him a gift for his company. Its called Rock's Drywall. I wanted to make some transfer shirts for his couple of employees. I'd like to come up with a cool picture and some letters , and make it a small logo on the front left. All i can think of is the cartoon character "The Thing" because hes rocky and muscle-y and mean looking. I just need a few basics ideas to get me started.

· Registered
736 Posts
So I'm gonna have to be the bad guy here and mention that this is so much copyright infringement that there's no way you'll stay under the radar? Sure, you can hope nobody will notice, but knockoff jerseys with Tebow's number on it at the flea market are far less likely to attract attention than driving around in a car plastered with infringing artwork. Either that, or your competitors or a disgruntled employee will turn you in...

· Registered
21 Posts
So I'm gonna have to be the bad guy here and mention that this is so much copyright infringement that there's no way you'll stay under the radar? Sure, you can hope nobody will notice, but knockoff jerseys with Tebow's number on it at the flea market are far less likely to attract attention than driving around in a car plastered with infringing artwork. Either that, or your competitors or a disgruntled employee will turn you in...
That's true. But I dont know if I am right here but isn't there a way that they could take that character and put some clothes on him add some tools to his hands and add a hard hat. This way it could be a parody of the actual design and being so is not copyright infringement.
It's like taking Jason put a different hockey mask on him and instead of a knife put a hockey stick.

Now I don't know if you can do this so please comment and let me know kuz this is interesting to me on what can be done to be a parody.
I am not a lawyer or judge so input would be appreciated. Also what about all these people using the Nike logo and putting sike,mike, and other thing is that legal.

· Registered
1,311 Posts
Parody often times requires defense if someone wants to take you to court and let a judge decide if it meets the criteria for parody. I would suggest adding the price of an IP lawyer to the cut and application fees. Don't take legal advice from people like me on public forums because very few people are licensed to give legal advice and most charge for that advice if they are.

My two cents. Toss them in a well and make a wish.

· Registered
130 Posts
It's a clever design but yes the infringement of Marvel could lead to problems down the road. Possibly the best solution would be not to emphasize the character just use the head, no body. Give him a drywall hat. Possibly add a brick/grungy font face. Good luck :)

· Registered
7,118 Posts
I dont know if I am right here but isn't there a way that they could take that character and put some clothes on him add some tools to his hands and add a hard hat. This way it could be a parody of the actual design and being so is not copyright infringement.
Have you read any guidelines on creating a parody? Changing clothes and adding tools would probably not hold up under the fair use or parody defense.

Also what about all these people using the Nike logo and putting sike,mike, and other thing is that legal.
It's all risky. Some people get caught, some people don't. Those that get caught can use the fair use or parody defense. Some judges may agree, some won't.

There is no way to create a parody that is automatically legal and completely risk free of being sued. The IP owner will always have the right to take legal action. If it goes to court, it will be up to the judges interpretation of the law and the defendant's usage of the IP.

· Registered
16 Posts
He's printing a few tshirts for some friends, not mass producing for re-sale.. I personally wouldnt see a problem with doing this. Its a mild mild breach of copyright. And its not like one of the people who receive one of th t's is going to complain to marvel about it... imo

· Registered
3,506 Posts
He's printing a few tshirts for some friends, not mass producing for re-sale.. I personally wouldnt see a problem with doing this. Its a mild mild breach of copyright. And its not like one of the people who receive one of th t's is going to complain to marvel about it... imo
wow get ready for the storm of @##@ headed your way.

not a way for a newbie to make a good impression.

just because he could get away with it doesn't mean it's right. is it alright for someone to steal something because they didn't get caught?

this is a graphic design help section. if you've got any mustard as a designer you should be able to come up with an original design that doesn't copy or infringe on someone else's work.

· Registered
3,506 Posts
What about if i cut his head off and put a skeleton head on him or something? Or maybe some other kind of evil head? What do you think DjDomino?
let's think clearly about what your original intent was with this design. it was to be a present for your dad.

what do you think your dad would like more for a logo as a gift:

a copyright infringed logo of 'the thing' with a skeleton head on it or maybe something that pays homage to him?

why not just do a cartoon line drawing of his head with a hard hat on and plug in type wherever?

i don't think your dad hangs out with the same like-thinking crew as you and djdomino.

· Registered
736 Posts
All ethical concerns aside if your competitors get pissed off at you they will very likely report you to the copyright owner. It happens all the time. Same thing goes for disgruntled employees, especially former employees.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.