T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sure there is an easy answer. Can someone tell me "Why 300 dpi?"
What happens if you use 72, 120, or 200 dpi to print your transfer and heat press a t-shirt?
Thanks,
Darrell

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
The simple answer would be that the higher the DPI, the higher the resolution and quality of the print. If you use a low dpi like 72 (which is usually seen as a screen resultion, not print quality), you could see some jagged edges or artifacts in your final printout.

I'm sure someone has a more technical answer, but it comes down to quality.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
That pretty much sums it up. 150 should be reasonably fine for most jobs (I've had to do 72 a few times, and it wasn't really that bad either honestly), but if you cant, you might as well go with 300 - the only disadvantage would be larger files and slower loading of your designs.

·
Registered
9 Posts
DPI stands for dots per inch. The higher the resolution the smaller the inch. The smaller the inch, the better the picture quality. 300 is the standard for print but people has gone even higher than that you would be surprised :) Any how do print with 300 dpi and you wont be sorry.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I could be way off the mark here!
DPI (dots per Inch) if you print at 72dpi you only get 72 dots of ink in that square inch but if you print at 300dpi you get 300 dots making the image much sharper with more detail.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I could be way off the mark here!
DPI (dots per Inch) if you print at 72dpi you only get 72 dots of ink in that square inch but if you print at 300dpi you get 300 dots making the image much sharper with more detail.

thats exactly correct.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Eh...

If you print 72 dpi, you get 72 x 72 = 5184 dots per square inch.
If you print 300 dpi, you get 300 x 300 = 90000 dots per square inch. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts