T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you download the fonts to adobe illustrator???You can also purchase fonts, but how can you add them to a adobe illustrator cs2 program??
examples of font websites:
fontfreak.com
1001fonts.com
etc,etc......

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Better yet...go to programs...Adobe....adobe type manager......add a font! Look in your folder where you downloaded your font and unzipped it...there it is ,highlight it from the adobe font manager and once its complete...restart your computer. The font should show up in all of your art rendering programs...corel, AI, Flexi etc. Hope all that makes some sence. Another great free font site is Dafont.com

·
Registered
34 Posts
i like to add them to my fonts folder then i can use them in word & everything else - if you dont se the fonts after you add them to your folder reboot - for my PC i have to reboot the PC before adobe picks up the new fonts
http://www.pcfonts.com/ has a lot of fonts you can download free if you dl them one at a time - or you can purchase the whole package

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Actually its is best to save your fonts in a custom folder. Archive the various fonts into subfolders like, Serric, Gothic, Retro and so on. When you need one just install from the folder. when you dont need it anymore remove it. If you keep too many fonts installed in your C:/Windows/Fonts foler it will drastically slow your computer down.

Get a font management program. It will make your life easier and managing fonts easy as cake.
PC - Bitstream Font Navigator is a good one.
mac = No Clue

·
Registered
690 Posts
Rodney said:
Do you know how many it woud take to start slowing your computer down?
I'm not so sure. I have over 2000, that's not a typo, fonts in C:\windows\fonts folder and the system seems to be running fine. The machine is a 2.8GHZ w/ 4GB RAM & SATA 300 250GB HDD.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Fluid said:
Actually its is best to save your fonts in a custom folder. Archive the various fonts into subfolders like, Serric, Gothic, Retro and so on. When you need one just install from the folder. when you dont need it anymore remove it. If you keep too many fonts installed in your C:/Windows/Fonts foler it will drastically slow your computer down.

Get a font management program. It will make your life easier and managing fonts easy as cake.
PC - Bitstream Font Navigator is a good one.
mac = No Clue
This is exactly how to do it!!! I have no more than 400 active fonts and thats probably too many. If I add ten new fonts, I remove ten old fonts. I have a bunch zipped in a font folder categorized. When I do events I have a font catalog for folks to choose from with no more than maybe twenty.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Fluid said:
Im amazed it hasnt locked up qith that many.
That makes 2 of us! :D Maybe XP has a better way to manage these things, because it's been running very smoothly. I use it daily to do photo/video editing.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Rodney,

The amount of fonts you have in your font folder will not slow down your computer but just make the listing when using photoshop or Corel take a little more time to load. I like vtec44 have a great number well over 1500+ and do not see any real performance issues yet.

Jerone,

Like others have said there are many ways to add fonts the easiest way would be to
1) Start
2) Settings
3) Control Panel
4) fonts
5) File- Add a new font

Note: You can add fonts one @ a time or add entire folders by selecting all fonts in the folder you select. Also, it is a great idea to back your fonts up b/c if a systems crash or a rebuild is needed you may not want to start back from square One :D

Best Regards,
Tim Homa

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Wrong....sorry but it will slow down your computer.....startup and every application that deals with fonts. Over 400 is a drag on the system, 1500 plus is kinda silly. Do you actually need 1500 fonts to get it done?

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
It can either cause significant slowdown, or hardly be noticeable - it depends.

On Windows 95/98, there was actually a physical limit to the number of fonts you could have installed, based on their name length -- this limit was around 800-1000 or so. In addition, the potential slowdown was more of a problem with older, slower machines.

Nowadays it's a bit different, if you have a current machine. XP has no physical font limit, and generally won't slow down as badly or cause problems with very large numbers of fotns if you have a fairly fast machine. While it still might be a good idea (and help a bit) to use a manager and have fewer active fonts, it certainly won't be devesating to leave them in place (with a newer computer).

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
I haven't tried a comparison to see, but I did think when it was first mentioned that it simply doesn't make sense. Fonts aren't an important part of the system, and they're not loaded into memory: I don't see how they could drastically affect performance system wide. Maybe it's just yet another bug that affects Windows, but it certainly has more of the feeling of an urban myth.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Solmu said:
Maybe it's just yet another bug that affects Windows, but it certainly has more of the feeling of an urban myth.
Urban myth......... bwahahaha :) i like that. Funny Lyric.

Yep, with common fonts it is. But with custom fonts beware, you would be surprised what those files can carry in them.

Never Down Load Custom Fonts from people you don't know. Simple.
If you need that custom font or a job, ask the client to convert the font/design to curves.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts