T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone - I'm really interested in finding some double sided platen tape. I found a website that is selling it, but for 300 feet its around $250. I DEFINITELY don't need that much or want to spend that much.

Does anyone know any other websites or companies that I could order from?

OR

perhaps is there someone out there who would sell me a couple yards worth of their tape for some $ ?

·
Registered
752 Posts
We have used a product from Flexcon. It is not marketed as a platen tape, but does the job nicely on t-shirts. It is not a stock item and must be ordered in a minimum quantity that makes it very expensive to purchase unless one were a supply house and had the market for that quantity. Contact them. they may have a small sample roll that you could test.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I would assume you are looking for a simple one layer sticky surface? I use textite spray. Use it very sparingly and you get great results. Too much and it will leave a gummy feeling in the shirt until its washed.

·
Registered
752 Posts
The purpose of double sided platen tape is to eliminate the need for applying a spray-tack surface to hold garments in register. It eliminates the over spray and mess associated with spray adhesives. It is eliminates the drying time required with liquid adhesives since it is ready to use immediately upon application.

·
Registered
680 Posts
There isn't much of a demand for double sided platen tape because there is no need for it. One sided tape used with waterbased adhesive is your best option. The WB adhesive dries within seconds after applying it or you could even flash it for a few seconds if you wanted to speed up that already fast process. The double sided tape is way too expensive when you can accomplish the same results for 1/4 the cost.

·
Registered
8 Posts
It is better to use the tape than breathing the spray,I get mine from RJennings in sheets. When it gets full of lint, a light spray of water will allow you to rub the lint away. A flash dryer(5 sec) will keep the tape tacky

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I worked at a commercial screen printing company for a while and this is what they used for their platens. One side sticks to the board and the other side is a great no-mess sticky surface that lasts a long time. Like someone else already said as well, once it gets lint on it and loses its stickyness, you wash it a little with water and its very sticky again. It's actually very convenient and there is a need for it. When I'm flashing inbetween my multi color prints, the spray tack starts to turn to liquid due to the amount of heat and doesn't hold its tack anymore. Don't knock it until you try it. I was simply looking for responses with websites or other places to order from, so thanks to the guys who did that.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I used to use spray tac and once i got the double sided tape, i'll never go back. spray tac gets all over everthing and into your lungs. Even though its pricey, its actually more cost effective; a roll lasts me well over a year, which i would end up spending just as much if not more on cases of spray tac. using the water technique, i reuse the same tape over and over until it has very little tac.
Just be carefull on fleece sweatshirts, unless its fresh the lint can build up quickly and cover the tac.
I do still keep a few cans of spray tac around for either fleece sweatshirts or sometimes polyester athletic wear that doesn't hold on the double sided tape as well when heated, but 95% of everthing else works great. i have been in the business for over 10 years and have been using it for the last 3 and wish i was told about it sooner. get over the sticker shock. . .its worth it.

i buy mine thru www.garstons.com

·
Registered
19 Posts
I also can vouch for the double sided tac tape, we used Pal-Tac and bought it from Screenprinters Resource but I am not sure if they still stock it or not. It does not work on all the products I am printing now which makes it hard to switch back and forth, but on generic t-shirts it was perfect!

·
Registered
25 Posts
We normally get about 10000 impressions out of our pallet tack tape. After about 500 shirts we poor water on it and scrub it with water and we are good to go for another 500 shirts. for a roll of 15" wide by 150' we are paying $200. I do buy it directly from the manufacture. We have been using it for at least 15 years. We also run 3 autos.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I get my tape from RJennings. Roger got me to try it and Im glad I did, its so much better not to breath the spray tack, its not all over the place and on everything, and for someone that does it as a hobby, not having to have stuff to clean off the spray tack between doing stuff so it doesn't get covered in dust bunnies or dirt is worth it, I just peel it up and toss it no, no sticky residue, no mess. I actually used more sheets, I never used the water trick to get the lint off, Im going to have to try it!

·
Registered
605 Posts
I also made the switch to double sided pallet tape and LOVE it! So much cleaner and lasts amazingly long. I use to purchase it through screenprintingproducts.com but i don't think they stock it anymore. I really need another roll soon so if anyone else knows where i can pick some up at PLEASE reply to this post. Thanks!

·
Registered
605 Posts
I used to use spray tac and once i got the double sided tape, i'll never go back. spray tac gets all over everthing and into your lungs. Even though its pricey, its actually more cost effective; a roll lasts me well over a year, which i would end up spending just as much if not more on cases of spray tac. using the water technique, i reuse the same tape over and over until it has very little tac.
Just be carefull on fleece sweatshirts, unless its fresh the lint can build up quickly and cover the tac.
I do still keep a few cans of spray tac around for either fleece sweatshirts or sometimes polyester athletic wear that doesn't hold on the double sided tape as well when heated, but 95% of everthing else works great. i have been in the business for over 10 years and have been using it for the last 3 and wish i was told about it sooner. get over the sticker shock. . .its worth it.

i buy mine thru www.garstons.com
I tried the link you posted but i don't believe its correct. Googled it and found this site and believe this is correct: Welcome to Garston Sign Supply Inc.

However, I cannot find the pallet tape?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts