T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I am having trouble with my design leaving an impression on the other side of my tshirt I just printed so when I go to print the back side of the shirt it won't lay down a good ink pattern. The front design is messing up my back design. I don't know if it the way I'm pretreating. I haven't changed anything. So if someone could help me I would appreciate. Judith

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Hi,
I am having trouble with my design leaving an impression on the other side of my tshirt I just printed so when I go to print the back side of the shirt it won't lay down a good ink pattern. The front design is messing up my back design. I don't know if it the way I'm pretreating. I haven't changed anything. So if someone could help me I would appreciate. Judith
Judith,

A picture or two of what your describing might be of some help in understanding your problem.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It would be hard to see a picture because you barely see the impression on the back. It's like when you write on carbon and it's almost worn out. That is what the impression looks like. I hope that helps. I can't figure out why it started it. I don't know if it's the pretreating or maybe to much ink. Thanks

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
It would be hard to see a picture because you barely see the impression on the back. It's like when you write on carbon and it's almost worn out. That is what the impression looks like. I hope that helps. I can't figure out why it started it. I don't know if it's the pretreating or maybe to much ink. Thanks
So are you pretreating both sides at the same time? what normally works for us is to pretreat, print, pretreat, print, if you follow me, we tried pretreating both sides of the shirt first but we were not happy with the results...yeah I know that 4 times in the heat press. LOL!

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
Judy,

There are two different ways in which you can get what I refer to as "blow through" from the ink. Here they are with suggestions as to
1. You laid both sides of the garment over the printer's platen, you are using a fairly thin garment and you printed at full ink strength. (Or something similar to these settings). If this is the case, see if you can either put only one side of the garment on top of the platen or reduce the amount of ink being put down.
2. You laid both sides of the garment on the heat press platen and are using medium to heavy pressure to cure the garment. In this case, what is happening is the waterbased ink is being cured (i.e. evaporated) and the fluid is going out the back of the garment because of the amount of pressure being used. Try using a lower amount of pressure or only put the top layer of garment (i.e. front side) above the heat press platen - which is called "dressing the press".

Most of the time, pretreat fluid will help prevent this. But if you use too much ink or too much pressure, the pretreat fluid can only do so much.

Does this resolve your issue?

Mark

·
Premium Member
5,953 Posts
I do pretreat both sides at the same time. I spray pretreat both sides, lay a piece of parchment on the bottom of the press and one covering the garment, then I just flip after drying the first side. Another thing you can try is dressing the heat press with the shirt, and what I mean by this is sliding the shirt over the bottom of the press, if the shirt is big enough.

Also you might want to put a mouse pad or a bigger pad of the same material inside the shirt to give cushion between the two prints, if this makes sense. I have done this in certain situations where there is a press mark from front to back. Also print and cure your smallest print first, and then the larger one. I would assume that the back print is larger then the front?

·
Premium Member
5,953 Posts
Ok haha Mark and myself were responding at the same time :) Mark has a good point also with the pressure :) I use the lightest pressure as possible.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all your suggestions I will try them. I am at my wits end over this one. Have a good day

1 - 9 of 9 Posts