T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a hard time holding the detail in this design when I am burning my screen. Any help would be appreciated.

I'm trying to burn onto a 156 screen using SWR3 waterbased emulsion. I will be doing discharge printing. Is the screen size what is holding me back? Or is the detail in this image just too tiny?

I put a 1pt red line next to the logo for a size comparison.

Using a home built exposure unit with 6 uv blacklight bulbs for 2 minutes. No vacuum lid, but using a foam pad with some heavy stuff on top. Im getting a solid 7 with this time, but the detail just blows out in the "oh" when I'm rinsing the screen with my garden hose. I have tried twice being more gentile the second time, but same thing happened.

Attachments

· Registered
15 Posts
I'm having a hard time holding the detail in this design when I am burning my screen. Any help would be appreciated.

I'm trying to burn onto a 156 screen using SWR3 waterbased emulsion. I will be doing discharge printing. Is the screen size what is holding me back? Or is the detail in this image just too tiny?

I put a 1pt red line next to the logo for a size comparison.

Using a home built exposure unit with 6 uv blacklight bulbs for 2 minutes. No vacuum lid, but using a foam pad with some heavy stuff on top. Im getting a solid 7 with this time, but the detail just blows out in the "oh" when I'm rinsing the screen with my garden hose. I have tried twice being more gentile the second time, but same thing happened.

How old is your emulsion?

I was having a similar issue a while back and the problem turned out to be I wasn't letting my screens dry long enough. The emulsion felt dry to the touch (pre-exposure) but it couldn't hold nice halftone detail. I let the screen dry a bit longer and voila. problem solved.

One last thing, my shop did a job with a similar font and we had to go with a 230 screen. we used WB black ink (pretty thin stuff like the discharge) and it worked out really nicely.

· Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I mixed the emulsion on 5/9/10.

I let the coated screens dry in a box for 2 days before I burnt them.

Thanks for your input on what screen size worked for you, I need to add some 230's to my shop and this seems like a good time to do that. I have some 305's but I wasn't sure if I would get good results using the discharge ink.

· Registered
482 Posts
We use a vacuum frame in conjunction wit a single point light source. Unfortunately its not really feasible for everyone because typically they are an expensive system. I highly recommend getting a vacuum frame that can be bought or built for a fairly reasonable amount, and once you use a vacuum system you will be shocked how much light bounced around your design before.

· Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i dont know if your emulsion is still in good condition if its already old..from what i know after mixing the emulsion and sensitizer, the emulsion is good for only 2-3 weeks..maybe thats another reason on your wash out problem..
2-3 weeks sounds like a really short shelf life.

We have been getting some weird summer weather. It will go from 65 one day, and then 90 the next day. Maybe this has shortened my emulsion shelf time even more.

· Registered
1,318 Posts
Here is my 2 cents... burn your screen on atleast a 180mesh count (yellow mesh) if you have access to vacuum top exposure unit it makes all the difference in the world. the emulsion everyone uses what they like best..for my i use "Textil PV" it used right out of the bucket nothing to ad or mix and it has a great shelf life and it has very fast exposure times. i burn screens in 1 min. 35 sec. with a 400w metal halide. But for sure the vacuum top is KEY i used the same font before and i tried to burn screen without the vacuum top and it was bad news. Same font same film with vacuum top PERFECTION.

· Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here is my 2 cents... burn your screen on atleast a 180mesh count (yellow mesh) if you have access to vacuum top exposure unit it makes all the difference in the world. the emulsion everyone uses what they like best..for my i use "Textil PV" it used right out of the bucket nothing to ad or mix and it has a great shelf life and it has very fast exposure times. i burn screens in 1 min. 35 sec. with a 400w metal halide. But for sure the vacuum top is KEY i used the same font before and i tried to burn screen without the vacuum top and it was bad news. Same font same film with vacuum top PERFECTION.
Sounds like i need to get a vacuum unit for sure, I have been researching building one until I can afford a new unit. I have looked into the exposure units from Ryonet before, and it looks like they are also multi light source with vacuum lid. They look nice, and are fairly reasonably priced. But it sounds like a single light source is better.

· Premium Member
4,536 Posts
I may be echoing others here, but the reversed out image is definitely to fine of detail. When you get artwork like this, it is always a good idea to thicken the lines. With the ink and pressure of the squeegee, those lines will fill in even if you get a good burn on your screen. Since you are using a waterbased ink, then a finer mesh would work better anyway. You may need a step wedge or try to pinpoint good exposure times with a test sheet of very thin lines, thick lines, halftones, etc. With the right settings (exposure times), a thicker reversed imaging and a higher mesh, you should be able to print this with very good detail. I highly doubt your emulsion is bad. If it were, most of the time, it doesn't wash out.

· Registered
251 Posts
2-3 weeks sounds like a really short shelf life.

We have been getting some weird summer weather. It will go from 65 one day, and then 90 the next day. Maybe this has shortened my emulsion shelf time even more.

One thing that we do is after we mix the emulsion is store it in the refrigerator.... That will keep a longer life.... Take it out a few hours or the night before you need to use it....

I'd put the emulsion on thin, thicken lines a bit, burn onto a 230 mesh, print one pass of ink....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.