T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok.. I'm sure this has been ask well over a Billion times... but, does the inkjet transfer paper you use really make a difference? I read on a site that it made a BIG difference... the stuff you buy in the office supply stores isn't any good. Well, I'll tell ya, I've tried the generic brand Staples paper, then, the "Professional" quality paper from Transfer Paper Canada, then, the Avery paper from Staples... drum roll please! What made the biggest difference? The heat press! I tried a opaque transfer with an iron and a light fabric transfer with an iron and the results were terrible. I recieved my little JP-12 and wow.. what a difference. But, I don't really notice a difference between the papers? The printer made a BIG difference and the press made a BIG difference... but the only diffence in the paper was the price.. waaaaay cheaper from Transfer Paper Canada!

Any thoughts on this subject?:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Ok.. I'm sure this has been ask well over a Billion times... but, does the inkjet transfer paper you use really make a difference? I read on a site that it made a BIG difference... the stuff you buy in the office supply stores isn't any good. Well, I'll tell ya, I've tried the generic brand Staples paper, then, the "Professional" quality paper from Transfer Paper Canada, then, the Avery paper from Staples... drum roll please! What made the biggest difference? The heat press! I tried a opaque transfer with an iron and a light fabric transfer with an iron and the results were terrible. I recieved my little JP-12 and wow.. what a difference. But, I don't really notice a difference between the papers? The printer made a BIG difference and the press made a BIG difference... but the only diffence in the paper was the price.. waaaaay cheaper from Transfer Paper Canada!

...i think digital transfers has it's quality limits. There is not one major brand (not talking about cafe press type sellers) , im talking about brands that have goods in the stores where people can feel the prints on the shirts that uses them.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Of course T-Bot shows up everytime at looking at Spot98! LOL. For sure, but the market i'm going for is One-Off on demand type shirts... mostly photography.

I'm very curious about this plastisol thing tho... so to press a one color transfer on any color shirt...24-49 sheets... is about a $1.75 a sheet? And that's as many images as I can fit on one 9 X 12 sheet?

·
10,512 Posts
All three things (heat press, printer, and paper) will be a factor. I'd probably agree that the paper is the least important of the three, but all will contribute to making a product you are happy with.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Solmu... I'm pretty happy with the results I'm getting! Better then I thought... image is a little green sometimes, but, if that problem persists i'll just take it down a bit in Photoshop.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Of course T-Bot shows up everytime at looking at Spot98! LOL. For sure, but the market i'm going for is One-Off on demand type shirts... mostly photography.
I think for the type of art (photo) shirts you are making, one off's etc. you can really create some great stuff and get more money for them by using super-non-stretch knits, some jersey shirts are ok but I have seen shirts printed with digital transfers on LINEN button up shirts with multi color digital transfers that look amazing and the quality is much better that on regular jersey knit t-shirts.

In Toronto, there is a store on Queen st. called KAMA KAZI, they have some greats shirts done that way, when you have some time, perhaps go there and have a look. The owner is a great guy btw.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks T-Bot.. I did go to the Kama Kazi site.. pretty cool stuff.. I'd like to see the process.. actually watch them put the designs on and see the finished results up close!

·
Registered
17 Posts
The paper matters, really it does. There are two or three major mills that manufacture paper and sell through Master Distributors. Neenah Brand Papers are excellent.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
image is a little green sometimes, but, if that problem persists i'll just take it down a bit in Photoshop.

This is likely a factor with the inks you are using. You may want to try adjusting your color profiles to use less yellow and more magenta and cyan (-15, +5, +5 is usually a good place to start). This is often a good way to fix any odd color shifts that happen after pressing, with Durabrite inks for example.

The paper used certainly is a factor, but I can see (to some extent) what you mean. I do still have some shirts around that I did with an Iron + Avery paper where the image is still intact and in decent shape. However, the wax window is really visible on these; not as bad on the shirts done with Magic Jet/Transjet II. They are also starting to flake a bit in some areas, but not terribly.

Also, when we tried the Office Max paper back in the Iron days (don't worry, we weren't selling them, just doing some for ourselves =) - it was MUCH worse. There are some papers out there such as this which are really bad. I think the differences between the higher grade papers will usually be more subtle and less distinct.

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
I just added new video in the article section testing 3 companies (2 brands)I did a printing, pressing and wash test on the shirts. I am showing the results with my new CIS system. I just loaded them so they may not show yet. Check later if not. Lou

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Exellent videos as always badalou. Do you know where I can get the Ironall paper here in Canada... specifically Ontario? I'd really like to get one of those Mighty Presses. Is that the Epson C88+ with the CIS?

·
Registered
190 Posts
I think a part of it is not just quality, but consistency.

I have done presses with the Office Supply stores' own brand paper - some sucked, some were average and one was really good. However, on all of them, even the really good one, the "window" shows MORE with washing, not less. However, using the imported paper from Picture Perfect Products (I have no idea what it's called in the States - I swear there only really seem to be about 4 of them, but everyone markets them under a different name!), I get quality results EVERY time, now that I have got the right temperature/pressure/method thing worked out. AND, the 'window' seems to show less with every washing, not more, which is a good thing :). Also, the hand on this paper, while noticeable, is a lot softer than the office supplies paper.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Interesting... I'm finding the paper I've sample is offten similar... to the point I was starting to think it was the same paper under different names. I never use the paper for lights just the dark stuff.

·
Registered
8 Posts
how much of a difference ?
I do a lot of testing with different transfer papers. However, I’m sorry to say that not much documentation has been done with this testing.

A big difference that I see when testing is the feel of the finished transfer. The hand as it is called in the business is much more appealing with the better quality papers. The cheaper paper feels rubbery and hard with more of a tendency to crack. This means the garment will break down quicker. The higher quality papers have a much better feel and hold up better to the washing and drying cycles.

I agree that the printer does have a lot to do with the initial look of the image you print on the paper. If your customer base is disposable then a cheaper paper can give you better margins on a disposable garment. But I truly believe that keeping the integrity of the garment for a long time is worth the extra pennies per sheet. Because I feel that a happy customer means a returning customer.

Just my 2 cents!

Thanks

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well.. so far, and i've only been doing this a very short time, I've found that Neenah paper has the softest hand. Now, I've have no idea of longevity because I've been at this such a short time... So in your opinions, (ecalomino and Mark) who's the best?

·
Registered
190 Posts
As much as the printers, inks, heat press combined....trust me, I am a Master Distributor of the product, the paper is the biggest difference between good product being made and poor quality...
IMHO, the ink would have to either an equally big factor or a close second. Use the wrong ink and you'll have a design that fades, bleeds and generally looks terrible.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts