T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
I've never had any problems with PayPal :)

I'm sure you'll find anti sites for most large internet companies.

Did you have an actual experience with PayPal that you wanted to share?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rodney said:
I've never had any problems with PayPal :)

I'm sure you'll find anti sites for most large internet companies.

Did you have an actual experience with PayPal that you wanted to share?
I get a lot of questions from possible customers asking if there are other ways they could buy the shirts other than paypal!

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
I get a lot of questions from possible customers asking if there are other ways they could buy the shirts other than paypal!
Yep, there are some customers that just don't want to pay via PayPal.

There are also some customers that ONLY want to pay via PayPal.

There are some other credit card processing companies you could use.

I think PayPal is a good way to start accepting credit cards if you are just starting out. It's better than no instant payment and you'll get those customers that like the convenience of PayPal.

I also think that PayPal is good to have as a payment "option" once you have your own merchant account (because some customers will request it).

One way to add more than one payment option is to install a shopping cart like www.cubecart.com. Then you can signup for 2checkout.com or ccnow.com, or even the new Google Checkout service and offer your shoppers a choice of payment method.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have seen this sites before.Personally, i have never had any problem with paypal.But,i also remember the adage that says"you can not please the whole world"-There is no way you can please all!!!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Paypal can suck if you are misusing their system. But it wouldnt be their fault. If you use their system right, it is a valuable service to have. But like Rodney pointed out, there are many others to use. I agree that a site should use and offer options to try and bring in as many sales as possible.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Some people do not like paypal becuase money is not deposited directly into your bank account.

My biggest problem with paypal is, that in the rare case that someone files a dispute through them, the only way to close a case is to give them a tracking number of the package. If you dont use tracking numbers, you are out of luck, whether you sent the shirt to the buyer or not. In my three years with paypal, I had one case where a buyer got both the shirt they ordered and a refund. This pissed me off beyond comprehension, especially considering the amount of business I do with paypal.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
skulltshirts said:
Paypal can suck if you are misusing their system.
It can suck plenty if you're not too.

Personally I've had a few problems with PayPal. Enough to piss me off (and hate the company), but not enough to affect me too much (basically they've cost me a few hundred dollars). Another company I supported as a customer was particularly screwed over by them (funds illegally seized), so while I wasn't directly affected it has made me sympathetic to people's problems with them.

I still tend to seethe when I think about eBay or PayPal; we often have no practical choice but to deal with them, but they're downright unethical companies.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
This is a good topic to build on. We all want our money. I never used paypal, I had a site up before and I know some of the heartache when dealing with these companies.
I would say that it is best to do what Rodney said and offer i multi way to pay. This might help with those that don't like paypal or some other c.c. you might use.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
This is a good topic to build on. We all want our money. I never used paypal, I had a site up before and I know some of the heartache when dealing with these companies.
I would say that it is best to do what Rodney said and offer i multi way to pay. This might help with those that don't like paypal or some other c.c. you might use.
I actually don't think that there is as much of a risk for buyers using paypal, as there is for sellers using it. The sellers are almost always the ones getting screwed by them. From that perspective, giving an option to buyers wouldn't help much.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
jdr8271 said:
I actually don't think that there is as much of a risk for buyers using paypal, as there is for sellers using it. The sellers are almost always the ones getting screwed by them. From that perspective, giving an option to buyers wouldn't help much.
Maybe we should come up with away not to get screwed by the companies we trust to be the middle man between us and the buyer. If someone has this answer, you might be on your way to being rich.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
jdr8271 said:
I actually don't think that there is as much of a risk for buyers using paypal, as there is for sellers using it.
My problems have mostly been as a buyer rather than a seller; it can definitely affect both. I agree that there's more risk to sellers than buyers though.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Paypal is dangerous. There are countless stories of how they abuse their position (as a financial institution not covered by financial laws).

But, at this stage, they are a necessary evil. Even with your own merchant account, I'd still offer Paypal.

At least until Google picks up :)

·
Registered
227 Posts
Very interesting thread..... Have had paypal account for over 5 years now and never a problem as either buyer or seller.... Even though the funds are not directly deposited to a bank account, they do issue a debit card, on request, (Simular to Visa Check, its by Mastercard) after you have been with them 30 days...and it gives instant access to the funds recieved...

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
Maybe we should come up with away not to get screwed by the companies we trust to be the middle man between us and the buyer.
The companies are at the mercy of the banks and the customers. They generally have to side on the side of the customer and be extra viligant against fraud. Not much that can be done there.

Like Nick said, I have a regular merchant account and I still offer PayPal as a payment option on my site because it is asked for so often.

I've used PayPal since they launched (back when they were actually more of a bank witih x.com) and I haven't had any issues with them.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I've used PayPal since they launched (back when they were actually more of a bank witih x.com) and I haven't had any issues with them.
Same with me. Actually, I think they provide a brilliant service for a price that the banks can't get near. When I first started with them, it seemed like a dodgy move, because in Australia they were virtually unknown. I had investigated merchant credit online facilities, and it was hideously expensive. I needed a way to offer clients of my online editing and copy-editing service a way of paying with credit cards online, and Paypal provided me with the ONLY viable option at the time. I have since had clients all over the world pay me via Paypal, many of whom had never heard of them prior to using my services. Never a hitch.

More recently, I have used their shopping cart on the Purchase CDs page of my punk history site - again, not a single problem.

I think there is a general conspiracy mindset out there, such that any big online company (actually, any big company generally) is viewed with automatic suspicion as one of "them", and the existance of a few complaints - inevitable in any business over time - provides instant fuel for the paranoia that is submerged beneath the surface of the public mind. The mere existence of a website like Paypal Sucks is viewed as certain factual evidence that Paypal is a nasty evil empire (a folk preconception almost by default for any big multinational).

It is interesting in the context of this discussion to consider the start-up and early corporate history of Ebay - the founder, Pierre Omidyar, was a community-minded geek who was subversively anti-capitalist and anti-corporate, and this refreshing mindset was pervasive throughout Ebay as it developed to the giant it is today. I guess it would be naive to think that Omidyar's vision lives on in the megacompany Ebay has become, but I would suggest that an unbiased reading of Joseph Cohen's thoroughly researched and fascinating history of Ebay, "Ebay - The Perfect Store"

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
Rodney said:
They generally have to side on the side of the customer and be extra viligant against fraud.
Part of the problem is the difficulty in defining who the customer they're meant to be protecting is. Is it the person who pays PayPal's bills, or the person who pays the person who pays PayPal's bills?

eBay has the same problem - they clearly define their customers as those who bid on auctions, not those who actually hand over money to eBay. PayPal isn't as black and white, but tends to do much the same thing.

The problem with that is that the seller is also a customer, and they're the ones who 1) actually pay the bills, 2) bring repeat business.

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
The problem with that is that the seller is also a customer, and they're the ones who 1) actually pay the bills, 2) bring repeat business.
The lines are definitely not very clearcut, but merchant account providers have always sided with the consumer holding the credit card. Without their trust in the process, it wouldn't work.

It's all symbiotic, but the tie goes to the consumers just about every time.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
how do you cut down on charged backs? Do you keep all the shiping info so you will have proof that you shipped it?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts