T-Shirt Forums banner

Does dye sublimation *have* to be on the polyester style tees?

73K views 50 replies 34 participants last post by  uncletee 
#1 ·
I noticed a lot of dye sublimated t-shirts are printed on t-shirts with a polyester type outside layer (or microfiber layer).

Can dye sublimation be done on regular 100% cotton t-shirts or 50/50 t-shirts, or does it have to be on that special type of tee?

#39 ·
I am new to the business of making t-shirts and uniforms and I could use some help! I print mainly soccer jersey's and they are more of a poly blend and the trouble I am having is that there seems to be a burn mark on every jersey I print. Some are more noticeable that others but I am not sure what to do, does any one have any suggestions?

#40 ·
Some material is just not suitable for DyeSub because it cannot withstand 400 degrees temps. If it's truly a burn, then all you can do is try to lower the temp and/or dwell time and see if you can get an acceptable result without burning the material. It may not be possible.

#41 ·
Some fabrics press better than others. Some of the looser knit ploys will flatten under the pressure of the press showing a "window" of your press. Tighter knits aren't as likely to be a problem. Also, you mentioned that your jerseys were a poly blend. If your press is running on the hot side, you could be burning the cotton part of your jersey or melting the poly. You might want to get some samples of different brands of jerseys and see what works best for you.

I can't recommend enough getting a good quality pyrometer and checking the accuracy of your press temperature in several areas of the press temperature. Many pressed, especially the foreign ones aren't very accurate and often have hot spots. Don't try to use one of those infra red non contact heat guns. They won't give you accurate results. Get a real pyrometer for accurate results.

You can get a pyrometer from knight among other places and it's well worth the investment. Once you know the accuracy of your press and if you have hot spots, you can begin the process of adjusting your temperature, pressure, and time.

#43 ·
I thought this was so helpful ! White Rain !

For cotton ,are you using inkjet transfers ..laser,chromoblast or something else ?
Do you have favorite papers ? I am a direct printer ( Flexi Jet-L)...But do lots of sampling for a toy company on all types of materials ..am always looking for new ways ..Thanks !

#44 ·
I cannot find any wholesalers who offer 70/30 or 65/35 blends. Can anyone post a link to any such site, it would be greatly appreciated.

I am also having trouble finding an online vendor with a functioning store that offers Vapor Performance shirts. I can only find the regular vapor shirts offered. Tho I can find plenty of descriptions of the Vapor performance material and it sounds pretty attractive. If only I could find some to buy.

#46 ·
imprints wholesale also sells the soft link shirts and some of their anvil shirts have the high poly content - i have used these for customers that want the light t shirt feel instead of the heavier softlink shirts - they are more costly than the vapor shirts you can get at conde.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.