T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Has any one ever tried using SofTee as a pretreatment sheet on a 50/50 or cotton shirt then applying the dye sub over that. I've read a number of places where you could do that as a two step process, but I've never heard how well it holds up (except from the people selling it). Supposedly, it applys a synthetic layer to the shirt that the dye sub can bond to.

Also worth note is that laser dye sub is supposed to work with 50/50 and cotton because the clc paper they use has the synthetic coating. According to what I've read, we can use the same sheets with inkjet dye sub in a two step process. Any one have any experience with any of this? Does it actually work and hold up with washing?

Does laser dye sub on 50/50 work better than ink jet? I know it's a bigger investment to get into, but it it works then I think it might be worth it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Some fabrics press better than others. Some of the looser knit ploys will flatten under the pressure of the press showing a "window" of your press. Tighter knits aren't as likely to be a problem. Also, you mentioned that your jerseys were a poly blend. If your press is running on the hot side, you could be burning the cotton part of your jersey or melting the poly. You might want to get some samples of different brands of jerseys and see what works best for you.

I can't recommend enough getting a good quality pyrometer and checking the accuracy of your press temperature in several areas of the press temperature. Many pressed, especially the foreign ones aren't very accurate and often have hot spots. Don't try to use one of those infra red non contact heat guns. They won't give you accurate results. Get a real pyrometer for accurate results.

You can get a pyrometer from knight among other places and it's well worth the investment. Once you know the accuracy of your press and if you have hot spots, you can begin the process of adjusting your temperature, pressure, and time.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.