T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know about an Atlas 3950 Exposure Unit? I have a chance to buy a used one and was wondering if its Metal Halide or Flouresent. any info would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I get it cheap enough is it worth converting it to a metal halide or would it be fine just the way it is for halftones?

·
Registered
911 Posts
What a coincidence, i just bought this same one used. The prints he made were detailed great but if you convert it like you want it would probably be better...i am thinking of converting this one too, but want to try it as is first.
Great post, I didnt even know the name of it until now.It looks to me to be good quality, I'm going to try it on sat. and will post a pic of a print.
Thanks.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Gerry, if you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for yours? They want me to pay $1000 sight unseen. I offered $550 but I don't think they will go for it.

·
Registered
911 Posts
It was a deal off craigslist, 4color 1 station hopkinns,flash,hatpress, screens,inks and squuegies for 600.00.
That ex.unit looks like it is 2-3 thou...I would try to talk them down too.
Good Luck.
-g-

·
Registered
911 Posts
well... i turned it on for the first time with the blower and everything going, I left the door with the rubber mat open ... not thinkin' ,and the quartz bulb fried in about 30 seconds.
DOH!:mad:

·
Registered
67 Posts
I just bought one on Craigslist for $250. I believe it is a National xp5500. Just tried doing an exposure test last night. 2 min washed out but 3+ didn't. It may take a while to perfect exposure times.

·
Registered
94 Posts
We had that one at the university and it works great. you HAVE to have the cooling fan on or else the heat from the bulbs will cause them to burn out. It was great for creating very fine halftones on our 220 screens.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I did a step test last night and had perfect washout from 2.5 to 4
min. This is by far nicer than a 500 Watt halogen at 18" for 13 min. That put out way to much heat and baked my emoltion. No more pressure washing out my screens.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts