T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does any on know the fashion term for this design? What’s the design process of how this vest was made in reference to the graphic? I wouldn’t call it embroidery, what would be the correct term? I’m trying get something similar made and I don’t want to look like an idiot lol

Attachments

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
I'd call it applique, possibly quilted if stitching goes through more than 2 layers of fabric.
People do use these terms interchangeably, so it doesn't really matter, but technically...
a) Patchwork is pieces of fabric stitched together (single layer).
b) Applique is pieces of fabric (one or more layers) stitched on top of a base layer.
c) Quilt is usually two layers of fabric with a filler in between, and top layer is often patchwork embroidery or applique.

·
Registered
Custom DTF Transfers
69 Posts
People do use these terms interchangeably, so it doesn't really matter, but technically...
a) Patchwork is pieces of fabric stitched together (single layer).
b) Applique is pieces of fabric (one or more layers) stitched on top of a base layer.
c) Quilt is usually two layers of fabric with a filler in between, and top layer is often patchwork embroidery or applique.
Agree it doesn't matter, but if you zoom in, it looks to me IMHO more likely stitched on top (applique) than pieced together (patchwork), and most probably going through multiple layers (quilted).

Whatever it is, it's definitely a nice piece of art, skilled labor intensive, and very probably expensive enough for me to want to hang it on a wall rather than ruining it by wearing it casually (I don't have rockstar money). Would be curious retail price.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The fabric is printed then a layer of some sort of padding with probably an under the fabric of a fabric similar to the first one, since I don't see the inside of the vest. A quilting machine or embroidery machine is programmed to sew the lines of the design. That is assuming it is mass produced. Otherwise, it is machined individually to sew along the lines of the design, most likely in a factory. It is quilted, but not individual pieces sewn together.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It is a very simple process actually - iits not quilting - it is a process called laser applique - it is an embroidery outline and then a laser comes in close to it - like the brand Abercrombie etc. and it can have several layers or different cloth which some hold tight and some shred off and look vintage - amazing work. i had thousands of pieces done. there are also awesome companies in china that do even small runs beautifully with great proofing to you before they begin work and prices very affordable. i have some pieces done with leatherette, carbon fiber, twill makes an amazing shred effect, purple diamond twill, white diamon twill where there is actually images stamped into the fabric such as the carbon fibre cloth, and it is so beautiful - very affordable over quilting old school, which i also am familiar with. i am a fashion designer that launched my brand in intl licensing expo europe london, my brand has been licensed to top companies, etc.
but if you contact companies like Sanmar.com for the garments and i used a lot of Dickies work garments with amazing laser applique processes. cost of some of the fanciest patters was around $3 where embroidery only would cost hundreds and be filled with thread not multi layer effects. oh yea another one is plain ole tshirt fabric just tossed into the layers of the patterns. what you are looking at is a foreign made - multi cloth pattern just thrown onto the garment - hacked around with embroidery outline and then a laser comes in from another 'cut line' instead of an embroidery sew line - and it simply chops around the embroidery sew line -
they pick up the garment and shake the cut out onto the floor and in minutes they ahve an awesome product.

i have samples if you'd like to see them. they are the finest look my brand ever had. i may come out with that look again. now i'm actually printing my own direct to garment whatever art or pattern i want to do and either sew on or sell as a garment.

i mainly just screw around as a very accomplished consultant to other brands even in the field of borosilicate / glassworks artist designers.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It is a very simple process actually - iits not quilting - it is a process called laser applique - it is an embroidery outline and then a laser comes in close to it - like the brand Abercrombie etc. and it can have several layers or different cloth which some hold tight and some shred off and look vintage - amazing work. i had thousands of pieces done. there are also awesome companies in china that do even small runs beautifully with great proofing to you before they begin work and prices very affordable. i have some pieces done with leatherette, carbon fiber, twill makes an amazing shred effect, purple diamond twill, white diamon twill where there is actually images stamped into the fabric such as the carbon fibre cloth, and it is so beautiful - very affordable over quilting old school, which i also am familiar with. i am a fashion designer that launched my brand in intl licensing expo europe london, my brand has been licensed to top companies, etc.
but if you contact companies like Sanmar.com for the garments and i used a lot of Dickies work garments with amazing laser applique processes. cost of some of the fanciest patters was around $3 where embroidery only would cost hundreds and be filled with thread not multi layer effects. oh yea another one is plain ole tshirt fabric just tossed into the layers of the patterns. what you are looking at is a foreign made - multi cloth pattern just thrown onto the garment - hacked around with embroidery outline and then a laser comes in from another 'cut line' instead of an embroidery sew line - and it simply chops around the embroidery sew line -
they pick up the garment and shake the cut out onto the floor and in minutes they ahve an awesome product.

i have samples if you'd like to see them. they are the finest look my brand ever had. i may come out with that look again. now i'm actually printing my own direct to garment whatever art or pattern i want to do and either sew on or sell as a garment.

i mainly just screw around as a very accomplished consultant to other brands even in the field of borosilicate / glassworks artist designers.
thanks for the detailed response. I would love to see your samples, if you could. Seems like when I’m talking to a factory I should ask them if they can do “quilted embroidery”. Please correct me I’m not comprehending correctly.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts