T-Shirt Forums banner

Does anyone know how to design a LED light shirt?

8K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  BroJames 
#1 ·
I would like to design shirts that have sound sensitive LED designs. My brother and I have an idea on how to put it together, but need to know who can we contact to put the led lights together. Any help will be appreciated.

#2 ·
I believe there are shirts designed that already incorporate LEDs as well as LCD monitors and much more. If you check around the web for LED shirts, you will find a few. I also believe there are kits available that offer what you are looking for as well.

Even if there aren't kits for LED shirts, I know of 1 specifically that is like rockband for your shirt with guitar sounds, drum sounds, etc. I have to imagine that you could get some LED lights from radioshack and buy the kit to reverse engineer it.

#3 ·
There are definitely sound sensitive led shirts. I've seen one that's an equalizer. The led's respond to nearby sounds or music and act...well like led's on an equalizer. If they can make one...you can too. Research it, play with it and I'm sure you'll come up with the results you want.

#6 ·
We bring ours in from china, need a run of 60 to make economically, but the more the cheaper. They all attach with velcro so the shirt can be washed and electrics reattached. They have their place especially in liquor promotion in bars. Not that great during the day, but we sell some for sports teams also. Our first attempts through some factories were disasters, but now we pay a bit more and the product is faultless.

#8 ·
There are essentially six manufacturers in HK, China and Taiwan. I have seen them all and started with the cheaper ones, but have gone to the best maker. Also I have noticed that in the last five years the quality and technology has improved. Technically it is electroluminescent flexible animated sign media, EL for short. In the earlier days, and still with some makers the fault rate and quality is very poor, but we have run consistent in eighteen months with zero complaint. We import for printers, promo companies, agencies and on sellers, and mostly they go to event management companies who will complain at any reason, but our source is the best.

#10 ·
We supply the art as PDF and animated gif file. The factory is great and will improve and alter to the best outcome effect and reproof to us. They supply shirts inclusive. Easy and fully reliable.

Technically it is a screen printed circuit with wire in and wire out to turn the light on and off, digitally printed image onto vinyl, and laminated to polycarbonate or pet-g. The wiring is on the reverse and connects the circuits to a program me centre that controls the dwell time and sequence of which circuits that come on and for how long and off which light up the vinyl on top of it. Alternative programming for beat as equalizer. Lots of different options available. We have run up to 17,000 unit runs and smallest about 60 units. Not as common in apparel, but lots in signage, and the technology in it's basic form is 50 years old. The factory does caps, but are more pox due to the battery pack and controller affecting the fit.

Mike.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.