T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there.
Just wondering iof there is a common warping of plattens.
I use 3/4" Plastic coated particle board, { we call it Melanine in Canada}
I have notcied that the boards tend to warp, upwards, after about 3-500 shirts.

Anyone else?

I was thinking about reinforcing the new ones with some steel or more wood.

Thnks

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
I've never had that issue. What are you cleaning them with? Is the area humid or damp?

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
I've heard of people complaining of warped plattens from overusing the flash curer over them - could that be the problem?

(unfortunately I don't know just what would constitute overuse - just that it's said to be a problem if, for example, people are fully curing shirts still on the press)

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
I suppose that could be an issue, although I've never personally seen it. It could be a combination of a humid environment and ummm.."over-flashing"....constantly drying and dampening the wood.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Yeah when I bought my press the guys said not to keep the flash/cure unit over a platten because it will warp from the heat. You can always invest in the fancy aluminum ones that won't warp.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Warped platens is a huge issue, especially if you've left one under the flash too long. When I bought my press, all 4 boards were warped. (it was used) I replaced them all and already warped one of them.

Just go to Menards or Home depot. They usually have Melanine scraps. It'll cost you $5-$6 to replace all of them. No big deal.

Or if you're rich, invest in aluminum. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts