T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I was wondering how much the technology has upgraded with screen printing. I am looking at buying a 1986 screen printing press. Would it be worth it or should I keep looking?

·
Registered
680 Posts
If it's an auto, then hell yes things have changed since then. You can end up making a seriously bad decision and buy a press that is basically only good for printing one color designs. I've seen it done a few time lately where someone basically gets an old auto for damn near nothing, but there's a reason they got it for that cheap. I helped out at a shop a few months ago that had just bought a late model 80's auto that was basically worthless for multi-colored prints.

The only auto from the 80's that I would consider is one made by American, a centurian or multiprinter can still be in good shape and still hold registration very well. The others from that decade were very new to the scene or no longer around and would be more trouble than they are worth. I don't mean to be such a downer, I'm just trying to save you some headache that I've seen others have to deal with. There are so many 4,000lb paperweights out there right now that people are trying to get out of their shop, so be careful. I personally wouldn't buy ANYTHING that I couldn't go put a multi-colored job on and set it up and run it yourself to see it's abilities. If it's in pieces in a corner of someone's shop...run away.

I'm sure some of what I said above applies to manuals as well, but honestly, the technology behind them hasn't progressed as far as autos have simply because of so much less engineering that goes into them. There have been some nice changes as far as manual presses go but it's almost like comparing the changes that have been made in automobiles over the last 20 years versus bicycles.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I have a used manual that is prob that old, it was looked after well and suits my needs...even has primitive micros...I think they're micros anyway.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
I would say if it doesn't have micros, pass on it.
Also, check and see how much play it has when each print arm is down (one at a time)
If there's play, wobble, you're not gonna be able to hold registration.

Personally, I'd say, keep looking.

·
Registered
911 Posts
i agree about the wobble, but i can register w/o micros...ive never used micros but guess it makes it alot easier.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts