T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to press 2-color cad cut vinyl onto a 100% polyester, moisture wicking shirt. It is a baseball team name basically a dark color with a white outline. I pressed the white onto the shirt and when I went to press the dark color over it it seamed that my dark color vinyl was to large.

How can I avoid this problem?

Thanks in advance for any help! I have 27 shirts to print front and back and I am concerned that I may have big trouble.

· Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes I am cutting the vinyl on my vinyl cutter. Both colors looked great when layer before heat pressing. I am using Multi-cut Ultra from Jotto paper. The instructions say to apply the first layer as if it was a single layer, then apply the second layer and the press for an additional 5 sec with a silicon sheet.

Should I press the blank shirt before pressing any vinyl? Will the shirt shrink more with each press?

· Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The first shirt did not shrink that much. I was able to strech the shirt and hold it in place to get the second color to match up. The logo is two words and I did have to cut the words apart to get them both to lign up. So in the end the first shirt turned out ok with a little extra work.

I decided to post up the question before attempting any additional shirts.

· Registered
4,817 Posts
Typically, a polyester shirt will shrink less than a cotton shirt. Polyester fibers are tightly woven compared to cotton fibers that are more open. (This is why the dtg inks naturally absorb to cotton garments, but not polyester garments as good). So the polyester fibers are less likely to close in as the cotton fibers. This is why some garment manufacturers will pre-wash a 100% cotton shirt and label it pre-shrunk so you know it will fit approximately the same as it did before you wash it.

I think no matter what shirt you use, you have to allow for some room to overlap the two colors if you want them to touch each other. I am not familiar with your vinyl (because most of the vendors private label it now), but I have seen some vinyl shrink as well. Most cutting software programs have an offset function that allows you to move your cut lines out some to create the overlap. See if this resolves your problem.

Best wishes,

Mark

· Registered
10,331 Posts
I find the ball uniforms and ezup canopy material shrink like crazy when you heat them. If you pre press them you will have some room to work. Also, use thermoflex over easyweed. It shrinks less.

For multi color designs press each color only 5 seconds or so to minimize the shrink effect. Plan you shrinkage with proper overlap in the design colors.

For uniforns we experience a .25 inch shrinkage.

Reactions: DAGuide

· Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks to all for the help and feedback!

I ended up running the shirts through my screen printing dryer before heat pressing the vinyl. That pretty much took care of the problem.

I would have never thought a 100% polyester shirt would shrink.

· Registered
10,331 Posts
our worst one was a ball jersey. it shrunk over an inch and with a 3 color logo it was a mess.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.