T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
May be a stupid question, but do you wash your t-shirt after printing (heat press) on it, but before selling it?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Simple answer...nope! :)

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
I've thought about it both ways. When you're doing heat transfer, the shirt will feel a bit stiff until it's washed once, but I'm just telling people that that stiffness will almost completely go away after the first wash (which it does) instead of pre-washing it myself.

·
Registered
14 Posts
very new to the business, still learning...my heat press shirts are cracking after the 2nd wash, how do I ensure this wont happen without washing myself? Thanks for any info. Also, using Claria Hi-definition ink with a Epson 725 on white 100% cotton tees. Thanks!

·
Registered
6,875 Posts
Garett, please provide us with the brand of paper that you are using and the application method.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I use jet pro ss paper and I set heat press to 385 for 30 seconds. Not sure how much pressure exactly but when locking it I have to hold the back so it doesn't lift up...Thanks

·
Registered
549 Posts
My suggestion would be to shorten your time ... you may be 'overcooking' the transfers which will lead to cracking. I normally set my press for approximately 390 (it fluctuates a little when doing consecutive shirts) for 13 seconds on medium pressure. The only time I double that is on heavy fabrics like canvas totes.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I started out at 400 for 10 sec, then 20 sec, and all the ink didnt transfer until I went to 30 sec at 385. What is the standard practice after the press? Do I throw it in dryer or just leave it alone for a certain amount of time? Thanks

·
Registered
6,875 Posts
I use jet pro ss paper and I set heat press to 385 for 30 seconds. Not sure how much pressure exactly but when locking it I have to hold the back so it doesn't lift up...Thanks
Here are the instructions from our website:

Application Instructions

1. Determine which side of the regular paper is imaged in your printer. Place the paper in you printer so that the blank coated side is imaged. Remember to mirror image on your printer.
  2. Press at 375° (200°C) for 30 seconds. Machines vary so test to see what temperature works best with your machine.
  3. Peel hot.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm making my own transfers, so far I have only been using black ink on white shirts. Thanks Ed, I got that same reply a week ago and thats why I started pressing at 385 for 30 secs.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Garrett,

I use JPSS alot,, and have had great luck with it for photo shirts mostly.

What is going on with your press that you are holding it down while pressing,, that might be the issue,,
Lets figure that out, we should be able to help you, it almost sounds like your spring is sprung .

When you heat press, the machine clamps down, from the handle and normally you can get your next shirt set up while the first one is being pressed.

Sandy jo

·
Registered
14 Posts
My heat press locks and I can walk away from it, I was just saying that the amount of pressure it takes to lock it requires me to hold the back until it locks. I can adjust it but my designs are sometimes around the shoulder area so it requires alot of pressure because of the seams. I'm practicing with costco kirkland brand shirts, could it be the shirt brand or is the cracking always and only a ink issue?

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Thanks Garrett for the info.

Maybe lighten up your pressure, my press does not take that much pressure to close,, I think the rule is , to be able to close it with one hand. and have it click down tight, try to move the shirt when the handle is clamped down, if you cannot move the shirt, you are good

I have never had JPSS for lights crack.
What ink or printer are you using?

I also after peeling hot, I stretch my garment while still hot to get rid of some of the hand of the transfer , it seems to soften it up a bit.

Garrett if you want to send me a small piece of your JPSS i will test it for you .

I just used very old JPSS, so i dont think it is a issue of it being old.

Do you have another package , that you could compare 2 applications one from each package?

Sandy jo

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks Sandy Jo, I will try that right now. One last thing :) this may be a dumb question but does it matter if I don't heat press the design right when it comes out of the printer? I printed off 10+ designs about a week before I actually applied them to shirts....Thanks

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
When I press Jpss i wait about 15 minutes or so after printing,
I print with inkjet on Jpss

I then press them, but I also have stored them as long as you put a piece of paper between them, and pressed up to 2 weeks later,, I have not pressed any , That have sat longer than that.

Do not press when the ink is still wet.

Glad to be of help
Is this Jpss for lights or Darks ?

Sandy jo

·
Registered
14 Posts
thanks again Sandy, its for whites, getting ready to purchase some for darks. I have to say that I have been in nutrition sales for years and there is nothing like this site out there. Thanks to everyone for the help!

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Keep us posted,, as to how it is going, After all these years JPSS is still my favorite, of all Transfer papers with inkjet.

Sandy jo

1 - 19 of 19 Posts