T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am very angry and discouraged at this moment but I am trying to hold back as I type.

I am not new to selling anything I did it for most of my working life so far, but the kind of selling that I am used to is where someone sees your stuff laid out and they come over and decide if they want something from you or not, no pushing on my part, the way I like it.

I noticed that since I started trying to sell t-shirts mainly to a couple of business's so far, I am having the hardest time.
They say they want some t-shirts for the staff you go through putting together samples of what it would look like (Thank you Lou) you give them the figures they say great no problem and then you sit there waiting to tie up the loose ends on their part has far as the deposit, sizing, etc.

You go back and forth asking yourself whether you should call them again because you already called them at least twice.

When do you guys just move on and say forget it?:(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
690 Posts
Well, a persistent salesman would probably call them back. I'd probably send them a thank you email, along with the pricing break down and contact info. That way, it doesn't look like you're desperate. :D I don't think it has anything to do with respect, but probably just "priority" on their end.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
27,689 Posts
I noticed that since I started trying to sell t-shirts mainly to a couple of business's so far, I am having the hardest time.
They say they want some t-shirts for the staff you go through putting together samples of what it would look like (Thank you Lou) you give them the figures they say great no problem and then you sit there waiting to tie up the loose ends on their part has far as the deposit, sizing, etc.
Are you selling printing services or pre-printed t-shirts?

With Printing Services (like offering heat press or screen printing services), sometimes business decision makers are very business and it can be hard to get a hold of them.

It does seem to be easier when they find *you* and you are responding to an interested lead (from a website, an incoming call from the phone book or advertisement, from a past customer's referral), rather than cold calling in the hopes of a sale.

That way they are already in need by the time they get to you and are usually ready to order and pay.

When you are just starting out or when you are courting a new customer, sometimes it will take a little extra legwork to "close the deal".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,766 Posts
My dear Ana, this is your father, Lou. OK I am not, but we act like it with our conversation. Deals come and go.. some come from the strangest places and some go away just as fast. If I let the number of sales that slipped away bother me you know who would slap me in the back of the head and say forgetaboutit!! actually she doesn't talk that way bu it it sounded good. You live in a city of a zillion business deals and one day my daughter you will wake up to a call and some person will be on the other end and ask "can you do a hundred tee shirts in the next 10 days.. and your face will light up and you will have that lovely smile (She is an attractive lady folks)well sure I can. what a dumb f-ing question to ask...Ok you won't say that.. but I know you will be thinking it..You will get the job and all the jobs that you did not get will just be a memory.. By the way just got a call from Virginia from a lady who wants 25 white tees for her sons 5th birthday party.. the theme,, he is part of a bowling team.. he is 5 folk.. Now I am waiting with my hand on the phone.. Naaa.. she 's not calling back.. I sent her some art.. If I get it, I get it.. if not move. on.. and you will do the same
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lou, thank you for the encouragement. I just want to let you know, father is not what I think of when I think of you but I know you have been married for like forever and I do not want to answer to your wife or my husband for that matter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow Lou, that is great. I need Myrna to tell me how I can get from 4 years to 28. I think you should make a shirt to commemorate the event and wear it all day.

Thank you for the tip Lucy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
No doubt, Lou. Good on ya.

Hey, Ana. Hang in there. I've had my fair share of nibbles w/o bites for years and across all kinds of business settings. I would encourage you to look at what you do in terms of why you do it. Do you enjoy it? Focus on what you enjoy about it, and stay possitive. If it's not a passion, let it go and find what is.

Another approach that's worked for me in the past is a very casual follow-up. Ask your potentials how things are going. If they're busy running their own show, they will probably appreciate that your not pressuring them. You're doing just the opposite, letting them know you didn't want to be forgotten about, but you TOTALLY understand how tough it gets when there's so much on THEIR plate. Encourage THEM to hang in there and not to worry about the "t-shirts" until they're ready. "You'd hate for them to rush into anything and be unhappy with it... Best of luck..."

Ana, you'd be surprised how much that personal interest stands out. If there's no order returned, you still feel good about yourself, and other clients will pick up on that.

To me, it's a lot like this forum. The information is nice, but the personal support and great people here is what brings me back. (You know who you are.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
274 Posts
along with what everyone else said- sales come and go. people like to talk up things that they want to do- like getting shirts made- but when it comes down to it, something else takes priority. unfortunately in our profession, people don't "need" shirts. but, a good sales woman will show them how good marketing teamed up with rad design work and pristine printing can do wonders for their business. i like to point out that it's relatively cheap when compared to other print advertising methods. they like that.

i'm not sure how old you are, but i feel like people brush my partner and i off because we're 24yr old females. they assume many things- we're not business savvy, we're push overs, we don't do the work ourselves... it's frustrating and i get super upset about it sometimes because we ARE smart, we DON'T let people walk all over us, and we DO do everything- literally- shy of welding maybe...it just makes me want to push harder and shake an angry fist at them while saying "see?!! see?!! i made it without youuuuu!"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,906 Posts
zagadka said:
i'm not sure how old you are, but i feel like people brush my partner and i off because we're 24 years old. they assume many things...
I know all about that one =) More in where I'm working outside of the t-shirt industry on that one though - I work with my dad and older brother doing auto repair/emissions, and some of the older customers won't even listen to what me or my brother say... my dad has to repeat the same exact information for them to even get it sometimes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,478 Posts
starprince said:
I am very angry and discouraged at this moment but I am trying to hold back as I type.

I am not new to selling anything I did it for most of my working life so far, but the kind of selling that I am used to is where someone sees your stuff laid out and they come over and decide if they want something from you or not, no pushing on my part, the way I like it.

I noticed that since I started trying to sell t-shirts mainly to a couple of business's so far, I am having the hardest time.
They say they want some t-shirts for the staff you go through putting together samples of what it would look like (Thank you Lou) you give them the figures they say great no problem and then you sit there waiting to tie up the loose ends on their part has far as the deposit, sizing, etc.

You go back and forth asking yourself whether you should call them again because you already called them at least twice.

When do you guys just move on and say forget it?:(
I think that having a checklist for yourself in taking custom orders is very important...a work order type document. An understanding written that a quote is good for a period of time on a proposal. Always ask for the order! Probably the biggest mistake in selling anything is not asking for the sale. Give them a set time you are going to call them and ask for the order again. When you get the order always throw in a sample of another product you produce such as coffee mugs, mousepads etc with their logo and an order form, thank you letter, any literature you have and a set time for a follow up call. Make sure you follow up and ask for another order.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
274 Posts
Twinge said:
I know all about that one =) More in where I'm working outside of the t-shirt industry on that one though - I work with my dad and older brother doing auto repair/emissions, and some of the older customers won't even listen to what me or my brother say... my dad has to repeat the same exact information for them to even get it sometimes.

well of course! girls don't know anything about cars! now, be a good girl, run inside and make me a sandwich...

i feel you. i have an older brother, too, he's my only sibling so i accquired a lot of "boy" skills that some people just don't appreciate. which is sad, because i think any lady who is indepent and wants to learn how to do things for herself is awesome. don't need to take your car in to get your oil changed? super! you can change your own flat?! awesome! if i tell you that there was a mouse nest in my intake manifold, you won't look at me blankly? i love you!!!

i dunno, i was kinda raised without specific gender rolls. and yes, i am majoring in fashion...so there ya go. i can design you a dress and change your oil.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,906 Posts
zagadka said:
well of course! girls don't know anything about cars! now, be a good girl, run inside and make me a sandwich...

i feel you. i have an older brother, too, he's my only sibling so i accquired a lot of "boy" skills that some people just don't appreciate. which is sad, because i think any lady who is indepent and wants to learn how to do things for herself is awesome. don't need to take your car in to get your oil changed? super! you can change your own flat?! awesome! if i tell you that there was a mouse nest in my intake manifold, you won't look at me blankly? i love you!!!

i dunno, i was kinda raised without specific gender rolls. and yes, i am majoring in fashion...so there ya go. i can design you a dress and change your oil.
Oh, I didn't know much about cars until I started working there; heck, I still don't know that much. Cars aren't really my thing. I do try to avoid asumptions like saying anything such as "Well your husband could probably do this repair himself" or such, since you really do never know. We've certanly had a few (not a ton, but a few) female customers that definitely knew a lot more about cars than I do ;)

And mice? That's a big problem for rural folks. They get up into the air system, clog the heaters... We even had one time where the mice actualy chewed up all the injector wires.


Anyway, I ramble off topic for t-shirts. I guess the point is that there will always be some level of prejudice whatever you're doing, based on any number of things... best you can do is try to prove their negative prejduice wrong =)
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top