T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
459 Posts
50/50, it all depends on how I'm feeling:)
Actually same here
I have a lady that works out of my retail location full time and she does webdesign and other stuff in return I charge her no rent and no extra money for electric or water and she designs mostly 90% of my sales I also do mobile advertising so I hope I will never lose her :)

· Registered
105 Posts
It depends on your skill level and what you are looking to get with a finished product really.

I know tons of people that only use our services to do higher end illustration, and I know people that subcontract everything out to us (simple typesetting included). Although I am biased since I do this type of work, I believe that subbing everything out to a good artist or team allows you to spend more time marketing and getting more business. We as artists do what we are good at and you as a business owner do what you are good at.

But, like I said before, it really does depend on your skill level, what you are looking for in a finished product and your general mindset towards art.

· Registered
775 Posts
I agree with Matt. If you use a designer, then you have time to spend on all the other things you have to handle, like marketing, printing, events, etc. Plus, you can still have control over all the ideas and designs, just have someone else create it. And if you find the right artist, they will be able to take your ideas and make something even better than you imagined.

· Registered
15 Posts
Yea I have hired designers for all of my work. I usually give them my concept or idea for the shirt and a bad sketch of it. Then I let them do the work from there. It usually works out well because they know what would look better when being transferred to the computer and understand that aspect of design. Delegating this task to a graphic designer frees me up to focus on getting the name trademarked, marketing and the business side of the brand.

· Registered
4,323 Posts
The really Cool thing here, is Know your strong points,, if this is not one of them,,
Hire it out,,
Also subscribe to some clipart subscriptions like
iclipart.com, and others

Start collecting Eps file Graphics, on discs,, and you or your designer will be able to use those mixed with your or their art, and create some awesome designs,,

Building a collection of design elements will take a lil time ,
MMM

· Registered
92 Posts
Ok, now I'm curious.

Since I am learning CorelX4, out of necessity---thus doing my own "graphic" work.....

What does hiring someone to do this sort of work cost...guesstimate? :confused:

I imagine I could get much higher end designs if I hired it out. I haven't had the need, yet---but very possibly could in the near future. So what's the cost like, and how would I go about finding someone?

TIA:eek:

· Registered
105 Posts
Ok, now I'm curious.

Since I am learning CorelX4, out of necessity---thus doing my own "graphic" work.....

What does hiring someone to do this sort of work cost...guesstimate? :confused:

I imagine I could get much higher end designs if I hired it out. I haven't had the need, yet---but very possibly could in the near future. So what's the cost like, and how would I go about finding someone?

TIA:eek:
Without knowing exactly what you want to get done, I can estimate right around $150-$200 for the design and the rights to it. Obviously if its simple text and it takes an hour, then less. If it is a custom illustrated piece with tons of detail, probably more.

Now the positive with subbing it out is that you can charge a customer double what we do it for and you shouldnt have any problems or if its for your own line, then 10-20 shirts sold and you have paid for the design.

I hope that helps you out.

· Registered
34 Posts
i recently hired a guy for my first real good quality design he kept it 2 colors but everything was grouped in a way i could change to 3 or 4 colors if needed and i was charged 175 for the artwork and he gave me all the copyright info for the artwork as well. but other than that i try to do alot of artwork myself cause im new to the business and dont have alot of the money to hire a guy to do 5 or 6 designs for me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.