T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most of mine have flopped.
I just heard from a marketing guru that most infomercials flop and his best record was 1 in 8 succeeding and he said that's fantastic compared to the rest of the industry.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Hi Richard,
Is it both your products and campaigns that flop? how do you go about marketing your products and who are they targeted at?
Paul

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Do most of your products & ad campaigns flop?

...meaning you spend time and money getting your stuff made and out on the market...and it does not sell ?

research helps alot.

but there are all types of factors that will cause a flop/no sales.

One good example is when a band comes thru town for a live date/concert, gets all types of promo, radio, tv etc.... but you cant buy their music anywhere because the distributor for this town, is sold out. :( ... there for no sales.

so, if you print catalogs to give away to promote your brand for example, make sure you have stock to sell.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
By flop, I mean the lack of sales of a particular t-shirt design, for whatever reason. I mainly mean they're not interested.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Hi Richard,
Before you produce your designs do you do extensive market research to ascertain whether there is a market for your product and that people are more than likely to buy into it? Do you produce a few samples a get people wearing them to get a reaction? What makes your product stand out from the competition, why should people buy from you? Do you have a USP? Do your designs really rock or are they mediocre? What form of marketing do you engage in? Answer these questions and I'm sure help and advice will be forthcoming. There is a reason why people aren't buying your product pinpoint that and move forward. Sometimes it hard to admit that perhaps your designs sucks (I've been there) so be brutally honest with yourself and open up, there are guys here that can help.

·
Premium Member
27,691 Posts
Do most of your products & ad campaigns flop?
No :) Some do that are sheer "whim" designs that I want to float out there (usually done via cafepress).

But most of the designs I create (and get screen printed) are done with a pretty good understanding of the market they are going to. I know what kind of t-shirts they buy, what kind of designs they like, and how much they mind paying.

On top of that, I know how to advertise to my target market. Which blogs they read, which websites they visit, which magazines they read, which search terms they use. This makes it much easier to launch a successful marketing campaign.

Of course, some designs will sell better than others, but a "total" flop of a design that I've taken the time to bring to market via screen printing is very rare.

I will say that it happened a LOT more often when I first started selling t-shirts online. At that time I just created designs that I thought were "cool", without thinking of how I would sell those designs and how I would reach other people like me who thought they were cool as well.

I remember one of my first designs in particular that was a very cool parody of the movie, The Usual Suspects. I still love that design :) Got great comments on it. But people just didn't buy it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Quickne$$ said:
By flop, I mean the lack of sales of a particular t-shirt design, for whatever reason. I mainly mean they're not interested.
I have been in marketing and advertising over 25 years, and I hope I can comfort you by saying that you're in the finest possible company. Ad campaigns and marketing efforts for the biggest and wealthiest multinational corporations and created by the greatest and best paid ad agencies in the world flop on a regular basis too. Perhaps more often than they succeed, depending on how you define "flop".

There is a universe full of reasons to why they flop, and while you can try your best to prevent it from happen, you can never be 100% sure.

It could be anything from external reasons beyond your control (and even beyond your knowledge) that could happen just when you launch your campaign to an amateurish ad that doesn't draw more attention than grass growing or a product that no one wants.

If you have a limited budget, all you can do is try again and learn from mistakes. Next time, make a diiferent layout, publish elsewhere, try to research your target audience a bit better (even ask them), check competition better, consider the timing more carefully, etc.

Basic tips:

1. Create a strategy. Sit down and define your target audience and try to picture the average person within this group. Describe his/her demography; Age? Gender? Income? Interests? Education? Lives where? etc. Then define a way to communicate with this person in terms of how? when? where?

2. Think "KISS": Keep It Short & Simple. Get to the point right away - don't drivel as much as I'm doing now.

3. Do you sell cheap? I so, make the ads look that way and not expensive.

4. Never ask people what they think about an ad because 9.999 out of 10.000 will start studying the LOOK of the ad ("oh, it LOOKS nice" or "it's ugly") and the LOOK of an ad has nothing to do with its power or lack thereof.

5. Look at the strategy again, and stick to it without exceptions for a loooong period of time (i.e. not hours or weeks, but years) even if it fails a couple of time. Because it's perseverance in marketing that pays off better than anything else, in particular if you have a small budget as most of us have..

Hope this helps a bit. Good luck!
Dan

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Richard,
I'm new to this site, but enjoy it very much. Being involved in marketing, Yes most marketing ideas flop. By statistics it's about 85%...but it's that 15% ratio we all dream about...and that's how I keep my job.... for another day that is. Hang in there. -Jay

·
Registered
96 Posts
ha. my first endeavor... long time ago when i just started getting interested... i printed 50 tees... got them printed by a company... and sold like 3. HAHA.

a year later... i try again. find cheaper company. rehash the design flopped on a better color and bigger on the tee. i almost sold out.

oh yeah... so i use those ~47 tees that i bought/got made a year ago as a freebie bonus for new customers. they will remember me cause of it.

try try again.

ive been using myspace to check the popularity of my designs. i added like ~2300 friends (hopefully semi target market). i posted a bulletin the other day about a design i was workin on, and asked for critiques, and put up a poll that asked what colors would be best... so far in a few days, ive recieved 54 votes on the poll and 20+ comments on the design... and most people like it... so im defintely feeling pretty confident about going ahead and buying $400+ in blank shirts. crossed fingers.

but i think its a great way to get people to like the design too... i ask for crits, and i actually change the design a bit... i think more people will buy because they feel they had a part in it. maybe. we'll see, but i already have some women telling me that they are going to buy it.. BUT... if everyone that said they would buy a shirt, bought one.. HAHAHAHAHA... you know.. id be doing much better. :)

since ive been sampling different colors and companies... im probably going to also promote my soon to be discontinued tee colors on myspace as well... there are some colors that i didnt like too much... so im discontinuing them... im going to post a bulletin saying that i am discontinuing it for balh blah reason (something wtih postive spin) and offer it for cheaper than normal. i only have a few left since i didnt buy many in the first place... so... hopefully it will perk peoples interest... they will buy the tee.. i wont lose money on it, nor gain, but at least another tee with my design is out there and some people might have wandered into my profiile bcuz of the enticing cheap price.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts