T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
I love the hands on feel of doing it myself, and long before i got a press kit I knew I could do it. I kind of don't like the idea of someone coming up with something, and sending it off elsewhere to get done. I think the DIY type approach is more admirable, and shows more character and more interest in screen printing and shirt design in general.

Since I have my own press, I could change up my logo at any given time, put my logo on any area of the t-shirt i see fit, make little sleeve designs, press labeless tags on the inside, and just goof around with designs without being charged more, without consulting anyone, or getting turned down because the people im paying to that think it's dumb and don't want to do it.

Before I got my press, I tried to get a few shirts done by a pro, but I had to have a minimum quantity which sucked, i wanted a logo on the sleeve and front and back, which came out expensive, and they kept telling me what shirts i should get them printed on (gildan 100%) and that fruit of the loom 50.50 would be too thin to print on, so I just thought that was absurd and never dealt with anyone else since.
Also the setup fee's for color's were pricey, and they wanted to tweak my art too, wh ich was also unacceptable.

as for doing it myself, there is alot of frustrations and trial and error, but it feels so awesome when you get the hang of it and do things right, it seems worth it. also, ive been making some $ by also doing custom jobs for freinds and one of a kind shirts, which is also something you can't do if you outsource.

·
Registered
65 Posts
ok, you guys read into that wrong. I wasn't taking a purist stance and being ego-oriented or whatever, It's just my opinion.
Since I don't have dollar signs in my eyes everytime I print a shirt, I guess I disagree with contracting different people for jobs I could do.
Also, I work a part time job and go to school and print shirts, so I guess printing isn't my full time job, therefore when I get a chance to do it, I don't treat it like a job, but rather something fun and something I take enjoyment in. From desiging, printing, shipping, what not, I like it.
I don't have a store, a website, or sell a high volume of shirts per month. But some people come up to me, through word of mouth and are like "you do those shirts, huh? got any on you?" and I sell them a shirt.
so i guess Im not at the level of shirt selling you guys are at, and I think our priorities, and opinions, are different.
and my last post, was just that: opinion.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I wasn't being judgmental either. Both styles are admirable, I just said DIY is more admirable in my opinion, but it also doesn't take anything away from people that outsource.
the way you guys read into that was probably thinking I dont think people who outsource deserve as much credit as people who don't. all i meant was i like DIY approach better. Obviously, from your responses, I didn't choose the best words to convey that.
anyways,
Sorry if enjoying my hobby and effort I put into my shirts makes me seem self-congratulatory.
I like t-shirt making. for a while I was going to outsource, but had a bad experience. since I do it myself though, i tend to lean in favor of that technique. sorry if that chaps anyone's hyde.
honestly I could care less how many people vouch for coming out swingin. if someone said DIY was a big waste of time and wasn't as admirable as sourcing, i wouldn't jump down their throat and call them out on thier words and label them self righteous or whatever.
If you like what you do and are confident in it, it should take a lot more than some random internet dude not favoring your technique to get under your skin

·
Registered
65 Posts
Comin'OutSwingin said:
Minusblindfold, if what you meant was that you like the do it yourself approach better and that's all you meant, then that's what you should have said. You didn't leave it at that.
well what I said is what I said, in the way i saw fit. i do not regret my words, i just didn't mean them to sound as harsh or to take anything away from one technique over another. I don't need anyone telling me what I should have said either.
Comin'OutSwingin said:
I don't know what you were thinking when you talked about printing yourself being more admirable, but it does seem self congratulatory to say: "This is the way I do it and it's MORE and admirable and shows MORE character." Especially without saying why you believe that.
I actually had that opinion BEFORE I started printing my own, which is why I picked it up in the first place. I wanted to screen my own shirts, thought I couldn't, was going to get them outsourced, decided not to, and then I really got into printing myself. so regardless if I would be printing my self, I still think it's admirable, more so than sourcing. a lot of people source out there work, no matter what field they're in. bike mfg, shirt printing, metal working, whatever, but I'm always going to show more interest in the people and business that do it themselves. that's all there is to it.
and i do beleive I explained why i thought so, look over my very first post to see why i favor DIY.
Comin'OutSwingin said:
I don't think anybody was jumping down your throat. I certainly wasn't. You made a comment, I responded to why I believe you are wrong. I hope you don't see someone that simply disagrees with your opinion, as jumping down your throat.
---I never made a comment that was supposed to reveal any fact, I simply stated my opinion which made you "respond to why I believe you are wrong." I hope you don't see someone having a different opinion than you as wrong.

·
Registered
65 Posts
wow. i didn't think i'd read all of that, but it makes sense as far as what I was trying to say.
so if i do find one technique more admirable, what's the harm? the object of my admiration shouldn't set off such a wave of response unless someone found offense in it. otherwise it's just another opinion from another guy on the internet.

·
Registered
65 Posts
i guess I'd rather come off as a narrow minded jerk than just WRONG lol. but yeah, all i meant was i lean more in favor of. Anyone in the t-shirt business is ok in my book, regardless of technique.
also, i really didnt contribute to the thread but rather just explained why i like hand screening. but yeah, for starting up, i suggest you find out what you want to do according to interest and budget. do you just want the shirts done? or do you want to learn how to do them yourself? if you're really interested in the process, i suggest investing with a starter kit, but you do have to learn all the steps and mess up a bunch before you get the hang of it. if you're really interested in just getting all your designs out there and selling them soon, it would probably be wiser to get them done for you, for fast turn around times and to test the waters to see if you're stuff will even sell.
i have a kit and it took me a while (a little over two weeks) before i printed a shirt with quality worthy of selling lol. if you get shirts made for you, you can be selling them within a week without any stress of actually making them, just find a printer with decent prices and your set. good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.