T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,689 Posts
I think you could do it either way. We have members here that are doing it themselves (screen printing their own line of t-shirts), and we have members that just send their design to a professional screen printer and have them do the printing.

It can work either way. I guess it depends on how much you actually want to do (and how much you can do based on your time/budget/physical space constraints).

:welcome:

·
Premium Member
27,689 Posts
fresh said:
what would be cheaper
If you are just starting out, it would be less expensive to get a few t-shirts printed up by a professional printer than to purchase screen printing equipment. The learning curve (time expense) would be less as well if you outsourced the printing.

·
Premium Member
27,689 Posts
Ross B said:
Another query: do Tshirt designers generally get their designs screenprinted, or is heat transfer a real option? I get the impression that quality and heat transfer do not generally go hand in hand. Interested in the views of experienced designers...
People have been successful selling t-shirts printed with heat transfers and t-shirts printed with screen printing. There are some challenges and benefits with each printing method; either way, you have to make sure that you get quality printing on quality garments.

·
Premium Member
27,689 Posts
Ross B said:
But assuming you do get quality printing on quality Tshirts, aren't heat transfers liable to fade and lose their sharp, vivid quality far faster than screen?
I think heat pressed plastisol transfers can have similar durability to a screen printed t-shirt.

I'm a bit biased because I really prefer screen printed t-shirts. In my opinion, they are currently the standard for quality and is what you normally see in retail stores.

That being said, I think that heat press done right can sometimes be hard to tell from a screen print.

Each has it's benefits (lots of specialty inks and techniques can be done with screen printing...if that's your thing - heat press can be done "on demand" without much setup cost) and drawbacks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.