T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I have a Epson Workforce 1100 ink jet printer(New). I am about to order my refillable carts(pigment) from Cobra Ink. I will use the printer for making heat transfers and with my "minimal" use & production needs as of now.. would I actually need to buy & install a waste tank? Or is it just a good investment & thing to have due to the amount of ink the epson spits out (waste) and to avoid "Any" future issues or problems that I've read in other post's on this?

Also I have read that "eventually" the printer's waste counter will reach it's limit and have to be reset and that there is software available to buy & reset the counter myself. Does anyone have a link or info on where to get this software or any other info/advise regarding to resetting the counter? Does only Epson have this or are there other referrals?

On average how many prints would it take to reach this counter limit or waste pad issues?

Thanks for your help!!

· Registered
736 Posts
It's really easy to do on your own. You need mini aquarium airline tubing (not the standard size one). In my area, Pet Supermarket has it, PetCo no longer carries it. The one I found came with its own connectors, but you don't need these. For the 1100 once you take the side panel off. Cobra has some photos here:

Untitled 2

The main thing to remember is that, unlike a lot of Epson's printers, the ink comes from the back of the printer to the front. So, looking straight at the side, you pull the left tube off by squeezing the clamp and pulling it back, then pulling the tube off. Then attach the airline tube to the connector. You are best putting the clamp on the airline tubing so it doesn't pull off too easily. I don't remember which side the Cobra inks go on, so you can either drill a hole on the side panel or the front panel to run the tube through into a bottle. Remember to keep the bottle the same height as the printer, same as the CIS.

I used to put them in the back of the printer but it's way too easy to forget to empty it that way. The main issue is that even before the waste counter hits full, there may be so much ink in the printer that if you move it and tilt it a little bit you will have ink splashing all over the place. Just the initial purge uses a crazy amount of ink.

There are reset tools out there, both paid and free. I would ask Cobra which one they recommend. I believe you can even get the official Epson one off the website now, but I don't remember where. I have heard mixed reports about that one, some people say it doesn't zero it out, just reduces it by about 15%.

· Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's really easy to do on your own. You need mini aquarium airline tubing (not the standard size one). In my area, Pet Supermarket has it, PetCo no longer carries it. The one I found came with its own connectors, but you don't need these. For the 1100 once you take the side panel off. Cobra has some photos here:

Untitled 2

The main thing to remember is that, unlike a lot of Epson's printers, the ink comes from the back of the printer to the front. So, looking straight at the side, you pull the left tube off by squeezing the clamp and pulling it back, then pulling the tube off. Then attach the airline tube to the connector. You are best putting the clamp on the airline tubing so it doesn't pull off too easily. I don't remember which side the Cobra inks go on, so you can either drill a hole on the side panel or the front panel to run the tube through into a bottle. Remember to keep the bottle the same height as the printer, same as the CIS.

I used to put them in the back of the printer but it's way too easy to forget to empty it that way. The main issue is that even before the waste counter hits full, there may be so much ink in the printer that if you move it and tilt it a little bit you will have ink splashing all over the place. Just the initial purge uses a crazy amount of ink.

There are reset tools out there, both paid and free. I would ask Cobra which one they recommend. I believe you can even get the official Epson one off the website now, but I don't remember where. I have heard mixed reports about that one, some people say it doesn't zero it out, just reduces it by about 15%.
Thanks!!! Fenrir.... your info was of Great value to me and my question about the waste tank. I will check with Cobra about the reset tools to use, and probably google for further info/contacts on other possibilities. Don't know how much luck I'll have with Epson.. was on site earlier and wasn't able to find info? I guess maybe because they discontinued the WF1100... don't know? But I knew the forum was a great choice to help me find an answer!
Thanks for the link to printer pics as well.
Can I attach the waste tank assembly as you described before I receive my inks so everything is ready to go? Not quite sure on details you describe about removing existing tube on left & replacing with new tubing until I actually open the printer. Can I PM you if I need further details?
Thanks again for the reply & advise :D

· Registered
736 Posts
You can do it in advance, but I would look at the instructions on Cobra's website and see where you're supposed to attach the CIS before you make holes in the printer. My system from another supplier sits on the right hand side, it's actually a 6-color tray with 5 bottles, so I just put a sixth bottle in for the waste tank. Since the Cobra ones glue to the side of the printer, it may be easier to put the waste tank straight out the front. I drilled a hole pretty much right through the DuraBrite logo :rolleyes: there's two layers you have to get through so be gentle, use a sharp bit so you don't have to push hard. There isn't really anything directly behind it that will wreck the printer if you mess up but still be careful with it.

Also, here's a video with more details. He routes it out the back, not only do I not think a long run of tubing like that is a bad idea, but again, it's easier to maintain and empty if you just put it in front. I'd ignore the part about installing the CIS though, since he got one off eBay that may or may not be any good.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4zVTT7j9uQ[/media]

· Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can do it in advance, but I would look at the instructions on Cobra's website and see where you're supposed to attach the CIS before you make holes in the printer. My system from another supplier sits on the right hand side, it's actually a 6-color tray with 5 bottles, so I just put a sixth bottle in for the waste tank. Since the Cobra ones glue to the side of the printer, it may be easier to put the waste tank straight out the front. I drilled a hole pretty much right through the DuraBrite logo :rolleyes: there's two layers you have to get through so be gentle, use a sharp bit so you don't have to push hard. There isn't really anything directly behind it that will wreck the printer if you mess up but still be careful with it.

Also, here's a video with more details. He routes it out the back, not only do I not think a long run of tubing like that is a bad idea, but again, it's easier to maintain and empty if you just put it in front. I'd ignore the part about installing the CIS though, since he got one off eBay that may or may not be any good.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4zVTT7j9uQ[/media]
Hi Fenrir..Thanks again for the reply & the video... it will help a lot when I install my waste tank. I just ordered my waste tank & re-fillable ink carts from Cobra today(I do not use a CIS system). Cobra also informed me that they provide the "reset key" when the machine actually reaches it's waste pad counter limit.

The video provides some good insight that will help me with my installation. From what I see, I'm going to disconnect (the hose on the left)where the "clips are" on the existing waste tank hose & insert my new hose to the existing hose on the "right side of clips" & going out the back & to my waste tank. To the hose on the right side... correct? What about the original hose (on the left) going into the epson waste pad? Does that left over hose get "disconnected" altogether or do I leave it in the printer and just "plug the end" from where I just disconnected and attached my new hose line to my tank? Hope this isn't confusing??? But I saw another video where that was what someone did.. he plugged the old hose (left side of clips) and just pushed it back into printer?? Does this make sense and is this correct?
Thanks for all your time & help... much appreciated!!!

· Registered
736 Posts
Since the ink flows from the back of the printer into the front, you don't need to do anything with the loose hose. You may want to make sure it doesn't go anywhere you don't want it to, but I just left it loose, there aren't any mechanical parts of the printer on that side. The other end of it is pretty tightly fixed in the printer (otherwise you could just pull that out instead of buying extension hose). There won't be any ink coming out of it since the ink comes from the right hand/back hose. Maybe some residual ink if there was already some in the hose, but it's not going to drain your waste tank back out. It won't hurt to clip it though, use something like a small binder clip.

Again, I made the extension go out the front, I don't have any clue what Cobra's recommendation is as far as routing the tubing for their waste tank. I'm sure whatever their instructions are will be good, they know what they're doing. I just couldn't justify buying a "kit" when I could get mini airline tubing and a bottle for $2-3.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.