T-Shirt Forums banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all i am wanting to start selling shirts online. I design the artwork then have a local printshop print them for me and sell them on instagram then ship to customers. I wont make a ton of money but a little extra to help with bills and such. What do i need to do so i dont get in a bind at tax time? I am in Texas.

·
Registered
126 Posts
A buddy of mine was in the same situation as you OP. He just got a PO box and that was fine for him. He stated his business as an internet based business that didn't have a physical location since he did it from multiple locations (true since you need to do most of it online and through shipping and pickup from stores) and he had no real inventory (still true since you really only fulfill orders based on small print loads)

His local city hall was fine with that.

If they require a physical location, look into a flex space to rent. Think of it like a shared office that 40 some odd people might share the space with you. It provides you with a work area, a meeting room and usually a shared kitchenette area to work from. Think of it like a coffee shop without pretentious dinks. Flex Office Space | DC Shared Office Spaces and Affordable Coworking that one is a good example, and a little bit more pricey of an example I've seen ... but they do have a 'virtual' lease so those who do need a brick and mortar location for paperwork and a conference room occasionally.

·
Registered
42 Posts
[QUOTE=misfitdevil99;994803]Thanks you all. I did explain it to them. I seriously dont understand, because you're right.. no business is taking place at the apt. except for online. Im wondering what would happen if i do everything else right, but dont get the bus. license. If i'm only selling online, how would they know?? Very frustrating.[/QUOTE]

That's where the cliche comes from...Loose lips sink ships...Internet business you have & pay sales tax your In like flint!

Tee-Up!

·
Registered
2 Posts
They probably wouldn't know. I know so many people who operate a business out of their homes and never get business licenses. The ones who get caught are because they rent booths at festivals and such and the city goes down the list looking for people who aren't on their books.

I'll bet it's frustrating because you're just trying to do everything right and pay your taxes!
so would I need multiple business licenses for each different city that i will be attending events in? im new to this as well and i just contacted riverside city hall and the lady was literally no help she literally didnt explain **** to me just gave me other numbers to call.. very frustraiting

·
Registered
1 Posts
You are not actually doing business out of your home , you just work from home. It's not like you have people coming in and out of your home to pick up shirts or place orders. You take orders online, and another company prints them for you.
As far as you shipping you dont have to even do that from the apt. , you can drop the packages off.
I am in Texas and although we run a internet business , and we have a store front but thats because we print inhouse . I work from home taking orders online. Its completely legal here. You are really an internet business and in texas you dont even have to have a storefront. You only need a tex id number to pay sales tax.
Speak to someone else in the office , call them and explain you take orders online and there are absolutely no sales taking place there , but in cyberspace.
I’m also located in Texas. I recently ironed on some patches to a sweatshirt for daughter’s boyfriend. He’s a teacher and I spelled out his school name. Now everyone is going wild over them, teachers and students. They’re wanting to pay me to make them for every campus. I may even try to do the surrounding school campuses.
I would have to buy sweatshirts and patches in bulk and make them from my home. Would I need a license for that?

21 - 26 of 26 Posts