T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. So I'm getting ready to start selling my shirts online. I design the artwork on front, get them silk screened at a shop, and then mail them out from my apartment once ordered from customers online.

I want to do this legally, so I..

Made a website
Got the Fictitious Bus. Name
Got a Fed. Tax ID#

I went to get a Business License, but was told i have to file for a Home Occupation Permit since I'll be doing bus. out of my home. Only problem is, that since I live in an apt. I have to get the owner to sign a noterized statement allowing me to do this. But the apts. I live in state no home business allowed in the lease.

So my question is, if i'm only selling online, and cant get a bus. license, am i screwed??

I'm a total noobe here, so any help would be hugely appreciated.

I live in Redlands, Ca. San Bernardino County.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Hello all. So I'm getting ready to start selling my shirts online. I design the artwork on front, get them silk screened at a shop, and then mail them out from my apartment once ordered from customers online.

I want to do this legally, so I..

Made a website
Got the Fictitious Bus. Name
Got a Fed. Tax ID#

I went to get a Business License, but was told i have to file for a Home Occupation Permit since I'll be doing bus. ot of my home. Only problem is, that since I live in an apt. I have to get the owner to sign a noterized statement allowing me to do this. But the apts. I live in state no home business allowed in the lease.

So my question is, if i'm only selling online, and cant get a bus. license, am i screwed??

I'm a total noobe here, so any help would be hugely appreciated.

I live in Redlands, Ca. San Bernardino County.

You are not actually doing business out of your home , you just work from home. It's not like you have people coming in and out of your home to pick up shirts or place orders. You take orders online, and another company prints them for you.
As far as you shipping you dont have to even do that from the apt. , you can drop the packages off.
I am in Texas and although we run a internet business , and we have a store front but thats because we print inhouse . I work from home taking orders online. Its completely legal here. You are really an internet business and in texas you dont even have to have a storefront. You only need a tex id number to pay sales tax.
Speak to someone else in the office , call them and explain you take orders online and there are absolutely no sales taking place there , but in cyberspace.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
You are not actually doing business out of your home , you just work from home. It's not like you have people coming in and out of your home to pick up shirts or place orders. You take orders online, and another company prints them for you.
As far as you shipping you dont have to even do that from the apt. , you can drop the packages off.
I am in Texas and although we run a internet business , and we have a store front but thats because we print inhouse . I work from home taking orders online. Its completely legal here. You are really an internet business and in texas you dont even have to have a storefront. You only need a tex id number to pay sales tax.
Speak to someone else in the office , call them and explain you take orders online and there are absolutely no sales taking place there , but in cyberspace.
In California, they want as much money as possible so we are required to get a business license even if all we do is sell stuff on eBay. That doesn't mean everyone follows the rules, but those are the rules.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks you all. I did explain it to them. I seriously dont understand, because you're right.. no business is taking place at the apt. except for online. Im wondering what would happen if i do everything else right, but dont get the bus. license. If i'm only selling online, how would they know?? Very frustrating.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Thanks you all. I did explain it to them. I seriously dont understand, because you're right.. no business is taking place at the apt. except for online. Im wondering what would happen if i do everything else right, but dont get the bus. license. If i'm only selling online, how would they know?? Very frustrating.
They probably wouldn't know. I know so many people who operate a business out of their homes and never get business licenses. The ones who get caught are because they rent booths at festivals and such and the city goes down the list looking for people who aren't on their books.

I'll bet it's frustrating because you're just trying to do everything right and pay your taxes!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Haha I had the exact same problem as you with the city of Redlands, CA and their requiring the signature of the property owner for the home occupation permit in order to get the bus license. And whether online or not you are still "doing business" in Redlands, CA and therefore would need a license. I literally moved out of my house in order to do business in Redlands legally because there was no way my land lords were down to sign off on me screen printing in their newly remodeled home. Haha good luck!

·
Registered
9,770 Posts
As I posted in 2011 and one other did just recently you need a permit in Redlands and in most cities in California.

·
Registered
882 Posts
First suggestion. Move out of the apartment.
Second suggestion. Move out of CA.

Here in Texas all you need is a DBA. Filed with the County and they do not give a where you are running you biz from and then a Resale Tax permit from the state and they don't give a where you are running your business from.

Now some cities here may require you to file something with them but you would only need to do that if you hung a sign on your door.

From what I have seen California is just trying to run business out of the state.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I've never heard of a business license in Texas. All you need is a DBA. And a tax id number.
you can run a buiness from home. Plenty of people do it. Just pay your state sales tax apply for an EIN number and file your taxes.
What if you list your business as a P.O.box?
Lot of businesses do that also

·
Registered
492 Posts
I mean, do i need a business license in order to pay state and fed taxes on shirts i sell?
You haven't thought this through all the way - maybe you're not familiar with the different factors. I think the "fictitious" business name is going to create problems for you when it comes to taxes. I don't think getting a EIN tax # for a fake business was a good idea either.

(1) When you ship to customers in CA, you need to collect sales tax on behalf of the state and pay them. Will you use your fake name on the filing forms?
(2) How are people on the Internet going to pay you - checks or money orders made out to you, personally? Or to the fake business name? How will you cash the fake name checks? Set up a bank account with that name? See below.
(3) If you take MC/Visa, you will need a merchant gateway. Where will those funds be deposited? Most banks require you to set up a business account to do this. And that generally requires paperwork (articles of incorporation, LLC certificate, sole proprietorship certificate) to show you are a legitimate business and a tax ID.
(4) All deposits made to that business account are reported to the IRS. So you will have to give the bank forged paperwork with your fake business name so it matches the inaccurate info you provided the IRS for the tax ID?

Big mess ... if you want to avoid all this you can be totally illegal (lots of people are), not get the license, take only money orders made out to you, and don't pay sales or income taxes.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts