T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys could really use some help. Im just getting into this industry and need to know if I need to vectorize my images before printing and sending it to the cutter and then heat pressing them.

If so what program should I buy?

Thanks for the help.

· Registered
5,758 Posts
Yes, a vector based program is always preferred (Illustrator or Corel Draw)

You can download inkscape (Inkscape. Draw Freely.) this is a free vector program.
You can also download free fonts (dafont.com or 1001fonts.com)

creating shirts in a vector base program is preferred because the images are clear and are the original artwork so your t-shirts will look better. .

NOW!!!! if you don't create something and you copy and paste say a bitmap or jpeg to the page (that is not original) and then add some text. Your artwork isn't all vector mainly the text part only. VectorMagic is really good. If the image is not real clear then you are not going to get a crisp clean vector image.

Go to Vector Magic Precision Bitmap To Vector Conversion Online so you can understand the difference between a vector image and bmp, jpeg and other formats.

You can find several post here in the forums by using the search tool regarding vector formats..

· Registered
116 Posts
OP question is misleading...
If you mean print on transfer paper, then cut outline with cutter than it can be any sufficient picture format.
If you plan on just cutting from colored vinyl (not printing) than yes, it is best to have vector images.

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You guys are right my post wasn't specific, sorry. Yes I meant heat transfers, I have a 16x20 sunie press, a epson workforce 1100 and a graphtec ce5000. Just wondering if I needed to vector the image before getting the heat transfer cut on the graphtec.

Thanks a lot for the responces.

· Registered
5,758 Posts
well, I would say vector is preferred because of the low quality images that are out their especially from customers that don't know any different. They figure you should be able to cut anything.

A vector makes for a cleaner cut and better results. If you have a high quality jpeg I am sure it would be ok.. but even sometimes vector isn't always the cleanest because it was once low quality that was vectorized

just test it out for yourself and you can see..

google.. free vector images and you will find 1000's of them download and cut them look for some high quality jpegs and cut them..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.