T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sorry for the noob question but im a lil confused, do i need a business license for my website? because my credit card merchant asked for it so i can accept credit cards, i live in michigan and just going to sell shirts on the website.

i registed my name within my state as a business / company but idk if i ever got a business license, i got the EIN and tax id number and stuff...

not sure if i got the business license though so he needs a copy of it, so do i need one? thanks

· Registered
1,262 Posts
Web based business in my area still need liscencing to make sure they are complying with the zoning ordinances. Mostly to do with traffic and building appearances and maintaining property values in residential areas.

· Registered
1,262 Posts
Be very careful there is some horrible and flat out incorrect info in there. The best place to ask your questions would be to your local small business administration office. They will know the specifics for your area and will be able to give you solid and trustworthy information. Go see if your local college has an entrepreneur club or community classes.

My two cents. Toss them in a well and make a wish.

· Registered
16 Posts
In my state you only need a retail sales license, which is your state sales tax license in most states. How you form your business is another ball game. They want to make sure they are collecting tax for each sale, x% goes to the state and x% goes to the county.

· Registered
820 Posts
sorry for the noob question but im a lil confused, do i need a business license for my website? because my credit card merchant asked for it so i can accept credit cards, i live in michigan and just going to sell shirts on the website.

i registed my name within my state as a business / company but idk if i ever got a business license, i got the EIN and tax id number and stuff...

not sure if i got the business license though so he needs a copy of it, so do i need one? thanks
Hi, you don't need any business licence for your site, but you need for your company ! Because company must have to register by government or any other authority. So, if you want to secure your site try SSL for your site read on Google about SSl.

· Registered
708 Posts
Your local laws could be unique, but I'm pretty sure no matter how varied the laws are across the country, if you are selling a taxable item, then you have to have a tax ID, but not necessarily a business license. In my area, you can operate as a sole proprietorship without a business license as long as you only use your real name and nothing else. Bob Smith Shirts would be unacceptable, you would need a license for it. This will vary by state/county/city/suburb/street.

There are a few areas where clothing is not taxable, but clothing printing services probably are. You would have to find out your local laws.

· Registered
79 Posts
i believe you need to file a dba in the city you are in and a state use and sales tax id. vendors will require your state tax id. your ecommerce platform is a part of your business and it is your business you need to register

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.