T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I Would like to get a DTG printer. The 2 samples I have seem to breakdown more and more after each test wash. Should that happen and do they all do that? Can anyone recommend a printer with ink that doesnt break down after multiple washings. Brand new to this and really dont want to put out a bad product.

Thanks so much!

· Registered
2,625 Posts
Lifetime after washes is based on the following values:

1. The garment you select -- better quality 100% ringspun cotton shirts tend to last the longest.
2. The pretreat you use and how well it matches the ink you use.
3. The operator's knowledge of the pretreat and garment interaction. Different garments (and colors!) require different amounts of pretreat.
4. The consistency of heat from the heat press, including how well it holds temperature, how consistent the temperature is across the heat platen, and how consistent the pressure is against the shirt.
5. The end customer's wash technique (cold water and hang dry => longest lasting print; hot hot water and hottest tumble dry => shortest lasting print).

We have test shirts we've washed 20+ times with NO degradation whatsoever. We have test shirts that failed after 1 wash.

· Registered
2,625 Posts
I am a fan of ALL the machines, honestly. Our main printer has been an Easy T printer, which has gotten a lot of negative reviews on here, but it's performed well for us and has made us almost 6 figures in profit in the 18 months we've had it. We're getting a Neoflex next week. My third DTG will be another Easy T, coming in a week or so, and my fourth printer will either be a RJet 5 or similar, hopefully before summer.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow, you must have a big shop with a lot of work to keep that many machines going. So happy to hear the Easy T works well. Even happier to hear you can actually make money in the T-Shirt business. Congrats! I'd looked at the Easy T first and then read the bad reviews so wasn't sure about it. Really wanted a larger print field. Looking at the Fast T Jet referb and the Summit. Do you know if the inks can withstand an additional 30 second heat cure to add rhinestones after the initial heat ink cure? I'm not a shop yet, just starting out and really unsure as to what to start with. Thanks again!

· Registered
38 Posts
If you can afford the price tag, Brother makes really reliable DTG printers as well. We've been running one of ours for 3 1/2 years with over 100,000 prints and have never had to replace anything on the machine. But there are a lot of good machines out there to meet most budgets.

As far as good washability, treefox really hit all the major points. I would just go further to say, don't skimp on the heat press. Get a good quality heat press and that will significantly reduce any problems with washability. Good luck if you decide to hop into the DTG world!

· Registered
239 Posts
Going to second the comment below and add, or stress, that yiur real enemy with ANY kind of imprinting is the dryer, not the washer. The heat and the action along with other garments can break down any ink much quicker than your washer will.

1. The garment you select -- better quality 100% ringspun cotton shirts tend to last the longest.
3. The operator's knowledge of the pretreat and garment interaction. Different garments (and colors!) require different amounts of pretreat.
4. The consistency of heat from the heat press, including how well it holds temperature, how consistent the temperature is across the heat platen, and how consistent the pressure is against the shirt.
5. The end customer's wash technique (cold water and hang dry => longest lasting print; hot hot water and hottest tumble dry => shortest lasting print).

We have test shirts we've washed 20+ times with NO degradation whatsoever. We have test shirts that failed after 1 wash.

· Registered
2,625 Posts
Agreed.

I have some high end jeans (don't ask, they fit perfectly), and I wash them inside out, and hang them to dry. I have a pair that is over 10 years old that looks and feels new. Amazing what a dryer will do to clothing.

· Registered
46 Posts
Along with the variables that Brian laid out, there are different clues to look for when determining the reason for poor wash / dry results.

Here are some "symptoms"
(1) White ink cracking, flaking, peeling - this may be a result of too much pretreatment application. It may also be a result of insufficient heat curing.

(2) Fading of CMYK & White Ink - this can be a result of poor ink quality or expired ink. The polymers in DTG textile ink should allow for inks to properly bind to the cotton of the shirt.

(3) Fibers of the shirt peeking through the printed graphic - this is something that may be termed "fibrillation" where the cotton fibers degrade with wash / dry cycles and the ink is not able to keep down the unraveling. This is most common with CMYK ink on light-colored garments. This can be the result of poor shirt quality.

At any rate, there are different ways in which a shirt does not hold up in the washer & dryer, so identifying which way it fails can point to how to diagnose the issue.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.