T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's really easy to find screen printers to outsource to...just type in "screen printers" in google. But what if you want to outsource your vinyl printing? If you type in "vinyl printers" you just get a bunch of printing machines and stuff aimed at "do it yourself." Other searches turn up professional printers who do signs, banners, stickers, etc., but I don't see tshirts.

Are there any vinyl printers who will print up and weed designs for you so that you can press them yourself? Sort of the vinyl equivalent of ordering plastisol transfers?

I'm thinking about starting a store and doing vinyl printing on demand, but it'd be nice to know I could also outsource the printing if my equipment breaks or I get overwhelmed.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
I think demand for it is low because the demand can easily be met with plastisol. The main advantage in vinyl is in doing it yourself - you can print single orders on the spot (or custom stuff) without having to do bulk.

As far as designs go, you should be able to do with Plastisol (or screen printing) what you can with vinyl. And, if you were outsourcing it, you'd be ordering bulk anyway.

So I suppose my question to you is, is there any specific reason you want to use vinyl in this situation? Do you like the feel of it on the t-shirts better, or...?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Twinge said:
So I suppose my question to you is, is there any specific reason you want to use vinyl in this situation? Do you like the feel of it on the t-shirts better, or...?
It's because I want to offer custom color ink and custom color shirt with every order, and I don't think it's possible to do profitably with anything except vinyl. Inkjet transfers restrict the color options too much, and you need quantity with plastisol to do it profitably.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Any sign shop can cut your cad-cut vinyl for shirts but they probably wont have a press. Generally everything with vinyl is custom because once its cut and weeded you cant really stack em in a file for printing later. You know...because of the sticky mylar carrier. You could do it if you dont weed the designs until showtime.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MotoskinGraphix said:
Any sign shop can cut your cad-cut vinyl for shirts but they probably wont have a press. Generally everything with vinyl is custom because once its cut and weeded you cant really stack em in a file for printing later. You know...because of the sticky mylar carrier. You could do it if you dont weed the designs until showtime.
Okay, so any sign shop could (would?) do it, but don't advertise it because there's such low demand for it?

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
i think its because they are in the sign trade and not in the imprint trade.

Ted Stahl however, believes that you should expand your imprint business to making custom pens and other promotional items.

Personally, transfers keep me busy enough.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Fat Tire said:
Okay, so any sign shop could (would?) do it, but don't advertise it because there's such low demand for it?
Nope...not because there is a low demand...probably because its heatpress vinyl and they are familiar with sign vinyl. Sign shops are very careful how much raw material they have in stock. Most shops order on a per job basis and only have simple vinyl stocks on hand. I dont think any would stock heatpress vinyl. Most probably dont even know its capabilities as a money making addition to thier business.

·
Registered
162 Posts
If you mean by using twill for transfers on t-shirts, there are a few on the inter net. I found a few based in the U.S and in canada. I did a twill google search and found what i was looking for. Vinyl is known for sign making twill is the term that is used for apparel. That is what i was told. Give it a try you may find what you need.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
polomac said:
If you mean by using twill for transfers on t-shirts, there are a few on the inter net. I found a few based in the U.S and in canada. I did a twill google search and found what i was looking for. Vinyl is known for sign making twill is the term that is used for apparel. That is what i was told. Give it a try you may find what you need.
This is completely wrong information. Heat press vinyl (cad-cut) such as thermoflex Plus, Gorilla Grip, Spectra Cut etc comes in a variety of colors, neons, reflective, sparkle. Flock and twill are similar types of cad-cut heatpress materials but have flock and twill textures. All of these type of decoration systems come in roll format that you cut on a plotter, weed the excess and heat transfer onto your blanks

·
Registered
227 Posts
Twinge said:
I have had many customers bring me their vinyl printed shirt and ask me to copy it with screen printing....becasue the vinyl creates a giant hot spot on the shirt and they sweat too much with the vinyl area stuck to their skin... Not a great choice for summer wear outdoors....

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
I like the heatpress vinyl for phrase inspired designs and simple graphics. This stuff is great for custom quick orders and its durable. One offs which most printers turn away can now be done easily and for a profit. Comes in a variety of colors and textures, easy to store and no messy chemicals to deal with.

Any large plastisol ink, transfer, or heatpressed vinyl design can be hot in direct sunlight. I am wearing a screenprinted show shirt right now and it gets hot around the design. Text designs in vinyl regular sized isnt going to be so bad...its the oversized stuff that gets ya. Most sports teams use some sort of vinyl transfer for names and numerals. You can cut them yourself with a plotter or order them ready made with names and numerals for your team.

·
Registered
162 Posts
This is why i like this forum. i always learn some thing new. It is the best way
of finding what is what. I was told twill from a sales rep and he was trying to sell me one thing for another. Thanks MotoskinGraphix for your post, i've learn something new today.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
polomac said:
Vinyl is known for sign making twill is the term that is used for apparel. That is what i was told (By the sales rep) ... I was told twill from a sales rep and he was trying to sell me one thing for another.
I dont think the rep was trying to sell you one thing for another (unless that was his first day on the job and got confused. LOL)

the term TWILL relates to garment decoration trade (stahls and others would confirm this), thats why there is even a company called Twill-USA. They not only sell twill but sell most of the garment decoration materials, like Thermo Vinyl etc.

where the Term VINYL, could apply to sign makers, stickers, decals etc... and of course, ALSO Garment decoration too.

so if you search for Twill, or Felt for example, you would be narrowing down your search.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts