T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a light exposure unit i made myself consisting of 6 unfiltered blacklights around 24x32 or so. Well its worked great so far and i want to add a vacuum and lid to it. Might anyone know where i can get ahold of some FREE plans on how to make a vacuum for exposure unit. Thanks.

·
Registered
153 Posts
When I had my Flatbed Poster Press in 1996, I built a Large 36" x 48" Vacuum exposure unit by building a 36" x 48" x 32" tall box out of 2x4's sided with plywood. I placed and secured a 36"x48" piece of Tempered Glass on Top, which was probably the most expensive part except for the light. I placed the light at the bottom, center of the box.

For the hold down, I built a 36" x 48" wood frame out of 2x2 wood, and stretched a piece of Wetsuit Material wrapped under and around the frame - kinda attached like in the link in the above post, except that the wetsuit material wrapped around the frame and was attached at the vertical sides or top and formed the seal.

The hold down was hinged at the back to the box. I had metal "latches" to hold down the front of the frame.

I attached a vacuum hose to a hole in the wetsuit material with a special vacuum nozzle secured by nuts and washers. I believe I bought a used pro vacuum (not a vacuum cleaner).

Everything worked great, except that you did have to sometimes push down the front right corner until a vacuum was established. It was very strong and held down the screen to the glass. I was told to use a piece of Rope stretching over the screen up to the vacuum nozzle to equal the air pressure as to not break the tempered glass.

I even sold it with the press and racks and all of the other equipment I made like the screen dryer box and the backlit washout sink to a Poster Printer in San Francisco. I remember I modeled it after a metal exposure unit I saw, but made it out of wood.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks, im going to try making it soon as soon as i have no orders. If it comes out good i will provide pics showing.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I am building a vacuum lid myself and I am trying to figure out how do you get the shop vac to make the lid work. what suction tube do you connect to the vac and place in between neoprene and screen???

1 - 6 of 6 Posts