T-Shirt Forums banner

DIY Timed AC Switch for light Table from microwave oven control board

2K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  outbreak 
#1 ·
So I dislike hanging around my exposure unit when Im burning screens. If each screen takes me 2 minutes and I do 10 screens, I just wasted 20 minutes of my day/life. haha.

I'm unsure if it is wise to post instructions on how to do this, as some people should not be playing with electricity, however, I'm putting this video in, to demonstrate what is possible and those interested can obtain all the relevant information from the Internet.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5CKjpNhkuo[/media]

Hope you dig it.
Andrew

Discussion starter · #5 ·
wow I guess if you have a spare microwave lying around otherwise you could have just went to home depot and picked up one of those wired timers for like $15 like everyone else.
Well yeah, but what increments does that timer offer? Im betting not too many options, as it's made for lighting applications for your house. Definitely not to the second, and definitely not for free. Everyone has access to a free microwave, they are all over craigslist.

However as I mentioned, not everyone should do this, it's just an effective solution for me and perhaps some others. Either way Im stoked!

As a side note, the a microwave oven also will almost always contain a 110 - 120v AC fan with included plastic shroud that can be used for many purposes in the darkroom as well.

-a.

Discussion starter · #7 ·
I didn't know they had those, and 15 is a good price for that type of convenience. I had looked before, but no luck. Im in Canada, but I doubt that would mean that there is a shortage of such a product at home depot. What I also like about this one is that it is programmable. Meaning that it's one touch operation for things like, "fine detail", "water-based", "thick emulsion" and so on. I 'll relabel the buttons accordingly once I've fit it into my exposure unit.

Discussion starter · #9 ·
You could, with a servo attached to a timer that would open when you wanted it too. The size you'd need would depend on your Shutter size, and perhaps you'd need to run two timer like this one as I can't imagine anyway to have it control more then one operation at a time.

Here's more information on servos then anyone should ever know. Servomechanism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

a.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.