T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Good morning,

For those who are looking to convert their Melco EMT & EMC (single or 4 heads) machines to usb, here is how I have done it for less than 50$.

(my machine with the usb floppy drive installed)

First:
- The "emulator" needs to be the SFRM72-FU. SFR1M44-XX will not work. Melco uses 720k. I bought this one for 49$ shipping included.
- Works without any problem on my machine (Melco EMT 10/4T from Dec 1998)
- The usb memory sticks needs to be in FAT or FAT32 format (default). I'm using a common 4GB TDK stick:

Preparing the boot disks

1) Download the file corresponding your machine type:
- Single head: Download
- 4 Head: Download

2) Plug your usb memory to your computer.
3) Execute the downloaded file and uncompress the content to the USB.
4) Your USB memory is now a "booting disk".

Installation:

1)

2)
Remove the floppy unit from the case. Unplug the 34 pin cable and the power cord.

3)

4) Plug the cables in the new unit. Once replaced, proceed to reassemble again the machine.

5) Your machine is ready to read from usb.

Have a nice day and sorry about my english mistakes.

Bernina.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I am curious as to how you set up the usb for booting of the machine. I have a EMC-10T & tried to convert to a floppy emulator several months ago. I copied the files from the boot disk to the usb but the machine would not boot up. Could you explain how yours works? Thank you.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all.

I am curious as to how you set up the usb for booting of the machine. I have a EMC-10T & tried to convert to a floppy emulator several months ago. I copied the files from the boot disk to the usb but the machine would not boot up. Could you explain how yours works? Thank you.
Hi lstark, I have updated the first post with the files needed to create the "usb boot disk". Just copy and paste the files to your usb memory, plug it to your machine and it will boot up if everythink is ok.

Thank you for this, I have tried two other drives both were 1.44 compatible and did not work, I now know what to try next.

Tommy
Hi Tommi. 1.44 drives don't work with this machines, only 720k drives. I have installed the unit with the reference "SFRM72-FU". The floppy drive with the reference "SFR1M44-XX" will not work.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Help please, I ordered the usb drive by following your link for the one that you purchased and it came today. I downloaded and installed the singlehead file onto a 2G usb drive but the machine still won't see it. I changed the jumper as you showed in your directions. I assume that I am doing something wrong but I don't know what it is. :confused:

My machine is an EMC10-T single head from around 1995. I would appreciate any suggestions that you can make. TIA!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Help please, I ordered the usb drive by following your link for the one that you purchased and it came today. I downloaded and installed the singlehead file onto a 2G usb drive but the machine still won't see it. I changed the jumper as you showed in your directions. I assume that I am doing something wrong but I don't know what it is. :confused:

My machine is an EMC10-T single head from around 1995. I would appreciate any suggestions that you can make. TIA!!
Hi lstark!

Does your machine boots up? Does your display shows any message?

Format your usb drive to FAT32, extract the files. Switch on your machine, when the display shows something like "INSERT BOOT DISK", insert your disk and press ENTER.

Nice to help you.

·
Registered
35 Posts
My USB drive was formatted as FAT(default) so I reformatted it to FAT32. I extracted the single head boot file on the USB drive. Turned on the machine, it shows "checking RAM" then "DiskBios 1.7 992k", then "insert boot disk". I put the usb drive in and press enter, it shows "trying network", then flashes back & forth between "DiskBios 1.7 992 K & unit 01" then finally says "insert book disk".
I have power to the drive unit (green light & red 000). I have tried selecting 000, 001, 010, all with no effect.

I have also tried copying the boot files from the floppy disk (they have different names "edsapp9a.rsa, edsapp9b.rsa, edsapp9c.rsa, edsapp99.rsa" then what is in the one I downloaded from here), with the same results.

I don't know what else to try.:eek: Thank you for any suggestions.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My USB drive was formatted as FAT(default) so I reformatted it to FAT32. I extracted the single head boot file on the USB drive. Turned on the machine, it shows "checking RAM" then "DiskBios 1.7 992k", then "insert boot disk". I put the usb drive in and press enter, it shows "trying network", then flashes back & forth between "DiskBios 1.7 992 K & unit 01" then finally says "insert book disk".
I have power to the drive unit (green light & red 000). I have tried selecting 000, 001, 010, all with no effect.

I have also tried copying the boot files from the floppy disk (they have different names "edsapp9a.rsa, edsapp9b.rsa, edsapp9c.rsa, edsapp99.rsa" then what is in the one I downloaded from here), with the same results.

I don't know what else to try.:eek: Thank you for any suggestions.
Good morning Lori,

Check if the 34 pin cable is connected upside down; I had the same problem when tried for the first time. Plug the cables and try it before reassemble the machine.

Format the usb to fat32 and extract the files. You don't have to press any button of the floppy "emulator".

Keep in touch,

Have a nice day.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have tried turning the 34 pin cable over, had the same results. I formatted the thumb drive to FAT32 and installed the files again last night. I waited to see the "insert boot disk" and put the thumb drive on the usb unit & pressed enter on the emc-10t. It still doesn't boot the machine.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I was using the file provided here. There is a file on my floppy disk that I believe is to make a new floppy boot disk but it isn't compatible with my computer (win 7 64bit). If your file is compatible I would be very grateful if you could send me a copy. If it isn't compatible I will have to try and track down and older computer. TIA:)

·
Registered
35 Posts
I tried the file that you provide on dropbox (emc10ce.exe) on a XP computer. I still can't get the machine to boot from the new usb drive. I have tried everything I can think of, including suggestions from my son (who knows more about computers than I do) but no luck. Guess I will go back to floppy disks for now. Thank you for all of your suggestions.:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks to the post, I was able to get my EMC-10T to boot up from the USB emulator on my first try today. I set the jumpers as shown, hooked up the cables, and came prepared with three different usb thumbdrives loaded with the boot files. Only one of them would boot the machine directly, but if I copied the files to the USB-floppy emulator then it was fine.

Now I need longer cables and a neat installation.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts