T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to print white ink on a t-shirt and have a heat gun to cure it. I currently have a starter kit from EZScreen and have tried to ink, heat and ink again but I need to make a press to hit the shirt again with precision. Thanks

· Registered
130 Posts
The book.....How To Screenprint For Fun And Profit has a wealth of information in it, How to build a one color press and so forth. I have some old clamps and a one color press. It needs a shirt platen built for it. If interested in it just PM me. Ill get some pics if you want. I started out on that press its old but will get the job done.

· Registered
34 Posts
Have a look at a guy on youtube that has a method of installing micro registration on the screen, eliminating the need for a hinged press. It would allow you to do multiple colours without the need for a rotary press. Do a search for youteesdotnet. His videos are long so i suggest watching another guys video who i think knocked off his idea (his video is shorter and gets straight to the point). Search for video called "4 Color 1 Station Screen Printing Press Assembly (pt4)".

· Registered
664 Posts
LOL... yeah, good concept, "interesting" guy.

You can DIY that thing quite easily. The "micro tuners" are just drawer parts that you can get at home depot. I probably posted links to the parts in one of the other threads I've participated in.

Jamie over at Knight MFG - KNIGHT MFG Quality American Made Products makes a very solid press that you could use as a base for this project. I have it and other than building it myself (I have a buddy that could cut and weld the tubes), I'd buy this sucker all over again.

· Registered
664 Posts
Great job... I wasn't about to watch that entire hour long vid, sorry... and you kind of lost me when you started giving the yudo cred. LOL

The pdf's show enough for me to see that you did well giving this info.

Not sure if you looked at those drawer parts, but they are cheap enough to pick up though wood would work also I guess... never tried.

· Registered
521 Posts
Great job... I wasn't about to watch that entire hour long vid, sorry.

Not sure if you looked at those drawer parts, but they are cheap enough to pick up though wood would work also I guess... never tried.
Yeah, I gotta break the vid up some, but there's a lot of technique demo on the thing.

I did demo the drawer parts, but I figured that's someone else's deal and I'd leave it be when it came to the plans.

· Registered
776 Posts
question on that melamine you used from home depot...

is it particle board underneath or mdf?

i have been wanting to make some new platens for my press. but, the only thing i can find with a melamine outer layer, has particle board inside.

but, with the heat from my flash, i think it really should be mdf. which is what my current platens are.

· Registered
34 Posts
Can i ask, when you attach the microtuners to the frame, is that screwing through the mesh which has been glued to the frame, and is that messing with the screen tension. I am wondering whether it would be better to side mount them?

Reckon you can get the registration good enough for CMYK with one of these? I have built a rotary press much like yours but wonder whether its good enough for process or simulated process.

· Registered
664 Posts
I have no experience with this but I can't see it messing with tension... especially on a static.. not much tension to start with.

In theory and according to the long winded one, it should have better registration than any rotary press. So you should be able to do process as well as any other manual.

Your bigger problem will be tension on those statics. ;)

Reactions: AussieLad

· Registered
521 Posts
You got questions, I got some answers:

The Melamin I used is particle board, however I have seen no problems with heating my platens. The biggest problem I can see would be with moisture, but if the cut edges are sealed that should be no problem.

If the screen is properly glued, there should be no effect on tension when attaching the tuners. The holes through the edges of the mesh are only 1/8 inch in diameter and 3.8 of an inch from the outside of the frame. There's enough material glued down between the edge of the print area and the tuner that the screen tension shouldn't change at all.

If you have decent screens you should have no issue doing process printing on this set up. Heck, like I said on the video, I've seen it done on a Yudu (check out TYGERON's stuff) and this setup holds extremely tight registration.

Gilligan and Tygeron, short versions of video will be out this weekend.

· Registered
34 Posts
Thanks mate. ALl i have at the moment are a few aluminium screens. For some reason decent looking wood frames are more expensive, at least at the places i have looked at anyway. If i could find some way of attaching them to an aluminium screen without ruining it, that would be good (timber warping etc).

· Registered
664 Posts
I thought about using Aluminum frames.

I don't like the idea but you could drill all the way through and use bolts instead of screws.

Still are kind of "ruining" your frames.

Aluminums are better than wood.

Another method could be a c channel type of clamp around it with a set screw pushing against the frame. Sort of a clamp.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.