T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again,

I have a bit of a problem that I see becoming more of a problem as I continue to practice out of my garage.

I have no drainage! At All! I recently bought a cheap $30 dollar plastic sink to use as my washout tank which has an attatchment at the bottom for drainage. The problem is that there is nothing around for it to drain in too, So what I did was hook up a hose and feed it through a hole in the wall so that it drains out in the front yard in a dirt bed.

Im using water based inks and I know once I scrape off the majority of the ink back into its container, it's still likely to make a big mess even diliuted with water.
So far the only thing I've used my washout tank for is degreasing, washing out emulsion after my exposure tests and reclaiming. Not sure of the contaminants but the area where its draining out to seems to look fine. Im just worried as I get more into washing inks out of my screens the damage is going to be more obvious.

I suppose I could drain into a bucket and then dump it down the drain, but I'd be concerned about eco issues.

So I guess im just posting looking for some suggestions. How toxic is WB inks? Couldnt tell you what brand im using, although they did come with a combo deal I got from Dick Blick a while ago

oh well.. any suggestions would help,
Thanks

·
Registered
67 Posts
WB inks are far more toxic than most people think and most of that toxicity is coming from the pigments. i was talking to an ink rep and he said that he'd "rather eat a gallon of plastisol rather than a tablespoon of waterbase ink". if you want to be eco conscious, then putting that stuff down the drain is far better than dumping it in your yard since the water company will have a chance to process the waste from your sink.

Franmar makes a canister based filtration unit that you may be interested in:

Franmar Chemical - Environmentally Friendly Cleaners and Removers

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, that drainage system is awsome... but the price isnt..

Think maybe training into a bucket and then dumping it into the sink may be my only option for now. I would hate for the house to get an ink stain around its perimeter and then the landlord says "wtf!"

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Those are two great drainage systems, but I'm afraid they dont work into my budget.

Is there a home made solution? Something that can be built?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
you can make a filter by cutting the bottom out of a bucket and stretching some fine screen mesh over the bottom. instant ghetto filter!
Hmm.. interesting.. that suggestion opens up a whole butt load of ideas to make a filter.

I'll brainstorm, thanks for the suggestion

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
If you're running at a reasonably small scale there's actually a simple way to do this:

Get a large plastic tub. Half fill it with water. Wash your screens in that with the aid of a scrubbing brush. You'd probably be amazed just how filthy water can be and still be adequate to clean screens. This is probably something you should be doing anyway to save water. When you're done, just leave the tub outside. The water will evaporate (or not, in which case... re-use it), leaving solids in the bottom to dispose of more easily.

Reclaiming is a whole other issue, but ink washout doesn't actually require any equipment at all (unless you count one plastic tub as equipment :)).

·
Registered
8,082 Posts
I am wondering about the legal issues in disposing of the waste as discusssed here...I just don't know but do have an acquaintance that go into trouble with local authorities over this and permit issues

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
I am wondering about the legal issues in disposing of the waste as discusssed here...
That's why water evaporation is good. The solids you're left with are fairly minimal. You will generally need to go through legal channels to dispose of them, but you won't have to do that very often.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I don't want to start another thread so I hope I get a response.

We are building a storage space and I wanted it to be my dark room and reclamation area. I was going to get a sink installed but after coming from ISS I realized I should focus on cleaning and filtering my waste water more. I was going to make a washout area and filter it in to a bucket the best I could then flush it down the toilet. In the summer I can easily have it evaporate since it's super hot in the valley here.

Should I bother having my contractor build me a drain?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts