T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone tell me a bit about this? I'm researching it as an option for getting some tees printed.

Pricing verses screen printing on tees?
Printers that do this in So Cal (san diego)?

Any info would be great.

Thanks!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Elevate(r) said:
Can someone tell me a bit about this? I'm researching it as an option for getting some tees printed.

Pricing verses screen printing on tees?
Printers that do this in So Cal (san diego)?

Any info would be great.

Thanks!
Discharge is the process of chemically removing the pigment in the T-shirt and then printing on the raw material that is left with regular screen printing ink. It basically removes the need for an under print. It's a little pricey and when we experimented with it the shirt material that had the chemicals put on it wore out much quicker than the rest of the garment. If you don't have a "huge" under print area stick with the under print.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
You can add pigment to the discharge base. Essentially by adding the pigment the discharge will remove the dye in the shirt replcaing with the color of the pigment you added to the discharge base.

The colors will not be majorly vibrant as the raw color of cotton is natural. If you add yellow pigment to the discharge and print on a black shirt the color will be yellow with a greenish hue to it. I just printed samples to give to all my contract client and employees to use as a selling tool. Its a smiley face that we printed side by side. One had pigment added and one did not.

You can add dark ink pigments and print on lighter colors to get the no feel print. Discharge printing is more expensive than regular plasticol printing. The base and activator are real expensive. About $200 per gallon compared to about $35 for a gal of regular ink.

·
Registered
176 Posts
The colors will not be majorly vibrant as the raw color of cotton is natural. If you add yellow pigment to the discharge and print on a black shirt the color will be yellow with a greenish hue to it.
Actually it depends on the brand of discharge you use. I have many customers printing very bright and vibrant colors (reds, yellows, blues, ect.) on black and other dark shirts. The fabric definitely plays a major roll in determining how well the garment will discharge. For example, American Apparel brand usually discharges much better than a Gildan.

You can add dark ink pigments and print on lighter colors to get the no feel print.
For light colors, non-discharge water based inks work best.

Discharge printing is more expensive than regular plasticol printing. The base and activator are real expensive. About $200 per gallon compared to about $35 for a gal of regular ink.
This also depends on the brand of ink. Matsui International has developed an exceptional discharge base that is not very expensive. You can get the base for about $35 a gallon and the agent is about $25 a quart. A quart of the agent (the discharge activator) works for about 3 gallons. So, your final price (before you add color pigment) is roughly $43 a gallon. Plus, it's water based ink...so you don't need any chemicals to clean the screens.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hey,

Thanks for the info regarding the Matsui products. I have been really intrigued by the option of having some plastisol tees and some discharge tees in my inventory. I was just looking at a store that I am going to send some of my tees to and some of the shirts they have on sale on the website are single color discharge prints. They were selling them for $45.00 each which is cool of course... Some of my designs would work well with this style.

I was told however, that you can't use the discharge process on screens with a higher mesh count that 125/160 at best... Is this true?

·
Registered
116 Posts
That sounds about right. I use 158 with the Matsui discharge. I wouldn't go any higher than that.
Excellent, thank you for that. Most of my designs tend to be detail heavy with lots of fine lines so my screens are usually 160 or 180 mesh and rarely anything less. I can design for a slightly lower mesh count.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
935 Posts
I have done matsui discharge prints through 196 mesh with good results.
I've been experimenting with discharge a lot. Gildan discharges well with the matsui discharge mostly. I've had good results with olive, black, brown and navy blue. Purple didn't work well at all.
American apparel 2001 works pretty well with black, slate, and olive. Mint and baby blue don't discharge well.
Black Jerzees 363 doesn't discharge very well, results in more of a brown than off-white.
Hope this info helps.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Matsui products we have ran through alot of 260 mesh's, now the discharge you will have to run a 136-156 mesh, unless you are doing towels 125mesh should saturate it enough to get all the fibers!

·
Registered
331 Posts
Hey, I have a question about this process... someone said to print plastisol over the discharged area, and someone else said you can print water-based ink in the discharge area, and then someone said you mix the pigment into the discharge base. I'm sure all 3 are workable, BUT, do you have to cure the discharged area before you can print the colors on top??? Or can you screen-print the discharge base, then put color on top of that, then cure?

I need to do some soft-hand prints, and some are on dark shirts, so please don't be afraid to offer too much information. So far everything I've done is plastisol.

Thanks!

~Brian

·
Registered
18 Posts
You can print water-based ink in the discharge area? YES and then someone said you mix the pigment into the discharge base? CORRECT, YOU CAN. Some people do cure the discharged area before you can print the colors on top, but you can print the discharge base, then put colors on top of that weither it be water base or plastisol, then then send it down the dryer. At the long beach show the had the best of both worlds all on one shirt with high gloss gel as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Im Actually Doin A Very Intense Shirt That Has Heat Press Using Foils,screen Printing Some Plastisolink,and Also Discharge Ink Def Not In That Order But A Very Intense Shirt And Thank You For Helping Me Out With The Mesh Count For The Discharge I Tried Running Discharge Threw A 200 And Something Mesh Count............................not Happinin... It Basically Clogged Up The Mesh Completly..and I Was Kinda Lost On Why..and Another Thing I Know I Use 8% Of The Discharge Agent But Is It That Serious?....meaning If Go Over Orunde That Will It Definatly Change My Print Thatnks Again Guys You Cover Everything!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I did a discharge print with out buying any of those products like discharge base or agent. Heres how you do it.
Buy a Clorox bleach pen. Squeeze it out on the screen. Do like any other print and you got ... Discharge softhand effect!
The Clorox is thick enough not to run and spread and gives the same discharge effect. Try it and see.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I did a discharge print with out buying any of those products like discharge base or agent. Heres how you do it.
Buy a Clorox bleach pen. Squeeze it out on the screen. Do like any other print and you got ... Discharge softhand effect!
The Clorox is thick enough not to run and spread and gives the same discharge effect. Try it and see.
Huh, that's interesting. Almost a do-it-yerself discharge print. VERY CREATIVE! I like it! :)

1 - 20 of 125 Posts