T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I've got a question. The screen printer we use is a great guy and does pretty good work with reasonable turn around time BUT the white ink on black shirts tend to crack after a few wash and dry cycles, they are 100 percent cotton Gildan black. After reading a bunch would discharge printing with water base solve the cracking and would it be reasonably bright white?

· Administrator
18,945 Posts
Yes, it should eliminate cracking entirely. No, it won't be as bright as the brightest plastisol.

As great as your guy is, if he doesn't already deal with discharge and water based inks, there will be a learning curve and new supplies to buy. You'll be financing his entry.

Some black shirts discharge better than others. Not sure on the Gildan, but you may also need to change shirts. When you're doing your test prints, use several brands to see who is better. There are discussions in the forum on this.

· Registered
4,694 Posts
The ink should not be cracking so soon. Yes, eventually Plastisol will crack, but it should take a few years of normal wear and wash. Shirts that are worn everyday as a uniform, or whatever, would obviously die sooner, especially if washed/dried hot, but it should still take more than a "few".

I would guess the ink is being over or under cured. Or perhaps it is just insanely thick ... don't know. I don't print Plastisol, but I own lots of Plastisol printed shirts.

· Registered
26 Posts
Good watercolor and appropriate mesh should also cover the black shirt,
at least after the second reflection. Of course, the quality of clothing is very important as to the final print effect.
On some will white watercolor looks like plastisol on others will be very soft and delicate to the touch.

· Registered
13 Posts
I going to try Discharge printing white on black Gildan shirts soon, I been printing Matsui 301 spot black with good results. I just got a gallon of Enviroline D-White discharge and going to get into some printing soon. First I need to make some screens with 160 mesh. Report back with pictures of my trials ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.