T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post! Wooh! :)

So I know it sounds crazy noobish, but with proper ventilation (windows and large fans) would it be safe. I'm going to vote no, but am curious if anyone has tried it. Also, would it ruin the oven, by making it unsuitable for cooking food?

Thanks guys! :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hi

First of all, if you think of using your kitchen for this purpose you should find a supplier of non-formaldehyde based discharge inks (like Wilflex's OASIS NF series). Formaldehyde is highly toxic, and flammable . Why don't you simply use some heat gun and other room that is not connected with food and preparing meals....?

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Even if it didn't have formaldehyde it will have other toxins. Bad idea to even use a heat gun for discharge as the person using the heat gun is exposed to the fumes. I would never use a home oven. Ever.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Using an oven for curing T-shirts is like using a toilet for washing dishes. Both will work but at what cost?

To ensure high quality and efficiency, use the right tool for each job.;)

·
Registered
794 Posts
I have done it with a home oven, but not one that is used for cooking. It's a delicate balance of proper curing and not scorching the shirts, since there is no control over the heat of the broil element.
I usually drop the rack to the lowest setting and sometimes blow a small fan on the shirts whilst baking with the door open.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the feedback guys! The oven sounds like it may be out for discharge prints. I'll probably just hold off until/ if I can afford it sometime down the road.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts