T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I bought a bunch of ink off of a shop that was going out of business and there were a few gallons that say DIRECT PRINT NYLON. Then it has directions at the bottom that say: Mix 14-16 parts ink to 1 part catalyst, by volume OR 18-20 parts ink to 1 part catalyst, by weight. 1 oz. catalyst to 1 qt ink. 2 oz. catalyst etc. etc. I don't know what catalyst they are talking about and are these inks specifically for printing on nylon?? Confused in Texas
Thanks

Attachments

· Registered
99 Posts
Catalyst is a bonding agent for nylon. It like a strong glue. You have to mix it with the ink. When you mix it you cant let it set, you have to mix and use. You can use the ink with out the catalyst just not on nlyon. Here is info straight from international coatings.
900 Series for Nylon
When it comes to hard-to-print nylon, 900 series inks are recognized as the industry's best. These fast-flashing, two-part inks are specifically formulated for printing on nylon, but they are as easy to use as conventional plastisols and just as durable.

1100 Series Athletic Multipurpose
A very durable, high-viscosity plastisol ink formulated for printing directly on most athletic garments, 1100 Series inks also can be used for cold-peel transfers and as a flock adhesive. Available colors match the most popular colors used for athletic garment printing.

· Registered
39 Posts
So if used without the catalyst, it's used just like a plastisol ink? I have a couple gallons I got from a mass plastisol buy and want to make sure I can use them.
Thanks!!!
Yeah, it will just be like plastisol. Catalyst we use is called nylobond and normally add anywhere between 10-15% into it. Once added it has a shelf life of around 8 hours before it solidifies.

· Registered
39 Posts
Once catalyst is added, it is strictly for nylon? Also, can I use plastisol additives like puff, curable reducer, etc?
Thanks so much for the info!!! Super appreciate it bud!!!!!!!
No no, you can use the ink on anything still but there isn't much point in adding the catalyst if you're going to be using it on cotton.

I assume so, never seen that brand before but can't imagine it's different to anything else. Direct to nylon normally just means it will flash cure a bit quicker.

· Registered
369 Posts
No no, you can use the ink on anything still but there isn't much point in adding the catalyst if you're going to be using it on cotton.

I assume so, never seen that brand before but can't imagine it's different to anything else. Direct to nylon normally just means it will flash cure a bit quicker.
It's international coatings, it's the brand that ryonet sells as theirs,
"Ryonet" & "international coatings" are both listed in the containers. Although they have been heavily pushing the Green Galaxy stuff recently. Not 100% sure if they are still selling IC inks.

And yea lol that's what I was saying. That if the catalyst is added, it's basically used for only nylon...or would I use the catalyst for other substrates?
It will flash quicker WITH the catalyst?...or either way?
Thanks dude!

· Registered
39 Posts
It's international coatings, it's the brand that ryonet sells as theirs,
"Ryonet" & "international coatings" are both listed in the containers. Although they have been heavily pushing the Green Galaxy stuff recently. Not 100% sure if they are still selling IC inks.

And yea lol that's what I was saying. That if the catalyst is added, it's basically used for only nylon...or would I use the catalyst for other substrates?
It will flash quicker WITH the catalyst?...or either way?
Thanks dude!
You can use the catalyst for any anything - i use it on PP (polypropylene) bags sometimes to reduce the curing temperature because the bags shrivel up if they go through the dryer at 160-170 degrees celsius. I drop the temp to 140 and it cures fine with catalyst.

And it will flash quicker without but even faster with.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.