T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Premium Member
51,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The weekly shopper newspapers in San Diego only cost only $10 to submit a 25 word ad line. If you can write an effective ad then there you are, your website domain in print in a couple of thosand households ready to generate sales. Just think about it how many of you have newspapers just lying around that you picked days ago and read through them a couple of times before you get rid of them.
I think that might work well for a local business or if you feel your target customers are reading the pennysaver.

For some t-shirt brands and websites, an ad in the San Diego classifieds or pennysaver would be a waste of money.

I don't read any of those type papers (or the classifieds), but I'm sure there is a perfect demographic that does (like maybe t-shirts related a the local community)?

· Premium Member
51,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Let's keep it civil folks :)

The topic was about sending direct mail campaigns (if you check out the Google Answers link in the original post, there's a lot of great information there).

I think effective advertising is about targeting your market as much as possible. A classified ad "might" work because of the shotgun approach, but I think there are better ways to spend ad dollars. That's just my opinion.

However, my original foray into selling t-shirts online was started by me spending WAY too much money on a classified ad in a Major national magazine (Rolling Stone). The results were less than dismal.

There is a certain demographic that reads newspapers and there are certain businesses that have budgets to keep running ads that aren't "direct response" ads. Some businesses run ads for months on end in a paper or magazine because they feel it gives them branding exposure.

That's different than what I was getting at with this thread (direct response marketing).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.