T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some drawings I put down on paper (notebook paper) that I want to digitize.
What is the quickest way to do this? Do I scan and deal with the notebook lines later or should I just re-create them using a USB tablet?

If using a USB tablet is the better way to go; can anyone suggest a good but inexpensive one I can purchase?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have some drawings I put down on paper (notebook paper) that I want to digitize.
What is the quickest way to do this? Do I scan and deal with the notebook lines later or should I just re-create them using a USB tablet?

If using a USB tablet is the better way to go; can anyone suggest a good but inexpensive one I can purchase?
Hi Im glad you asked this since Im at the drawing stage too. in fact my computer doesnt even have drawing programs and I am not familiar with putting my art work into computer form.

·
Registered
10 Posts
i believe u can open it with adobe photoshop and erase the lines. u can also open it in adobe illustrator and trace it and that will be as a vector. hope that helps

·
Registered
311 Posts
You could try to select the notebook lines with the Select - Color Range command using a small value (like zero) of fuzziness. Cut and paste it in a new layer so. If you was also cutting parts of your drawing, you can easily get it back.
It will of course only work if the lines in the notebook has another color then your pen.

·
Registered
372 Posts
scan and manipulate them in photoshop.....
and for future sketching or drawing, do it straight in the computer using WACOM tablet. Get the Wacom Intuos3 tablet (mine is 6x4 and bought it used for $50)....and a 6D pen (bought it brand new for $50)....
if you like drawing a lot, these toys ar perfect for you.

·
Registered
311 Posts
It's a general term for making digital data out of more natural representations of data (analog data).
Some years ago tablets were usually called digitizers.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You're welcome... I know for sure drawing with the mouse won't work. :)
I might have to invest on a tablet for future work.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
scan and manipulate them in photoshop.....
and for future sketching or drawing, do it straight in the computer using WACOM tablet. Get the Wacom Intuos3 tablet (mine is 6x4 and bought it used for $50)....and a 6D pen (bought it brand new for $50)....
if you like drawing a lot, these toys ar perfect for you.
Thanks Frank! I have heard of the WACOM bamboo too. Any comments on that option?

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
I would definitely look into getting some paper without lines. When I've needed to do a quick doodle, sometimes notebook paper is all there is. But it can be a hassle to deal with the lines, especially if you are looking to have the finished product to have a "hand drawn" look to it.

As to tablets, Wacom is usually the best to go with. There are a lot of different models that start from entry level and go up to professional versions. I would start with the best that you can afford. I got a brand new Bamboo (model name, not what it is made of. :)) for $30 off of Amazon one time. it was a deal where you signed up for their credit card and they knocked $50 off of the first purchase. I paid it off and got rid of the card. It's a nice little pad. It takes a while to get used to it, but if you are already artistically inclined, then it should be no problem.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I do a lot of sketching for my coloring pages. Some methods I've used to remove the lines are: 1. use white out to cover the notebook lines or 2. cut out around the drawing and paste it on white paper background & use white out to erase any leftover lines or 3. trace your present logo drawing with dark marker and cover it with tracing paper and redraw it by tracing the image onto the tracing paper.
Since you will be sketching in future, carry with you a blank notebook to sketch in or I often use some blank white papers clipped to a clipboard (this gives me a hard surface to draw on and the flexibility to turn my paper any direction I want). I also draw using graph paper which helps for proportion & design measurements in the drawing. Good luck with your work.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hi, I just got my bamboo dig tablet today and sofar, really like it. I'm so used to my top ball mouse and using my thumb that it was and still is a bit awkward. Still, I tried it in my old microsoft picture it platinum program and traced over a clip of a bull dog. I need a bit steadier hand but it was way faster than the mouse. Just like a pen pretty much. I got loss on my fine motor after 9 mos of chemo. After traceing I can delete the lower or orig layer and keep the drawing just like in the up to date and more powerfull programs. I did have to choose brush and pen size and stroke from the program but it's good for my skills. It cost me a total of $85.00 directly from wacom incl ship. Could of got it on ebay for 69.00 . Not sure of ship costs there but I figured, deal directly and be sure. The gal I ordered with was a doll and very helpfull. After only 20 min as a first timer I gotta admit, thi8s grampa likes it and I believe my up & coming fast granddaughter, is gonna be on this like funny on binky and the brain. Hope this helps. Jim

·
Registered
828 Posts
my girlfriend is a comission artist and she is using a bamboo now. She likes it and it's nice that the USB cord is seperate from the tablet. Her cord went bad and she just ordered another cord instead of having to buy a whole new tablet.

I will be getting a pen tablet soon as I am getting more clients who don't have logos or don't have digital ones and it would be easier for me to do the work with a tablet instead of my trackball.

-Scott Lewis
Silk Screen Expressions

1 - 20 of 24 Posts