T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! I hope I am posting this in the right place. So, I currently have a sublimation business and sell personalized gifts, I have been doing it just over a year. I recently found some new items I would like to try but they are 100% organic cotton. I found a tote bag I like the idea of and it says it is "digitally printed" I searched youtube etc and find alot of digitally printed shirts but nothing specific for what Im was looking for.

I understand it must be the same process for a shirt as for a bag but I guess I just want to understand digital printing better. From what I saw on youtube it seems to be a printed that prints directly on the item hence digital printing (yes I know) but then I saw some videos where it was printed from a printer then put on the bag and heat pressed. So is that type not digitally printed? Im confused (obviously). I will attach a picture of the item I saw that said it was digitally printed.

Also, what equipment would I need to be able to do something like this item? It says since it is digitally printed it will not crack, peel or fade. So is this something I can do with my heat press or would it only be that quality if the ink is actually directly printed on the bag. Thanks and sorry this is so long. I appreciate the info!

Attachments

· Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
8 - 15 K USD. If you want only CMYK then you may try less expensive models but be aware that they ewentualy will give you problems if you are not DTG proficient.

Wow! ok! I may have to rethink that lol. Is there a way to just print a design on a normal inkjet printer and then use my heat press to put it on the cotton bag?

· Registered
2,105 Posts
People refer to digital printing in 2 ways.

DTG is direct to garment. Printing on a bag, just like you would a piece of paper, but with special inks and machines.

Prints can also be "digitally printed" as transfers. The image is printed onto transfer paper and heat-pressed on. With a heat press, not an iron.

· Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
People refer to digital printing in 2 ways.

DTG is direct to garment. Printing on a bag, just like you would a piece of paper, but with special inks and machines.

Prints can also be "digitally printed" as transfers. The image is printed onto transfer paper and heat-pressed on. With a heat press, not an iron.

So, if I want to use the "digitally printed" transfers with my heat press what type of equipment do I need to print the transfer? I was looking at the roland bn-20 but I am not sure if that is what is best for the money for what I am looking to do. Thanks again for the info

· Registered
1,947 Posts
You can use normal inket printer and transfer paper but washability will not be perfect.

Roland BN-20 will limits you to only designs without smoth gradients that fades to shirts, because prints are contour cut.

Also printing will be a lot more expensive. We print those bags with DTG and CMYK only prints costs pennies.

· Registered
70 Posts
So, if I want to use the "digitally printed" transfers with my heat press what type of equipment do I need to print the transfer? I was looking at the roland bn-20 but I am not sure if that is what is best for the money for what I am looking to do. Thanks again for the info
Wow that printer comes at a hefty price tag! Not the route I would go down.

If I was in your shoes and I wanted to test a new personalized item I wouldn't splash that much on a printer. I'd start with getting an A4 or A3 printer which supports sublimation ink and use the heat transfer method. All you need is the ink, heat transfer paper, and a heat press. I would see how the item sells. If you can think of another 4-5 textile items that can be customized then it would be worth getting a DTG printer, it will be more versatile and not just limit you to one product.

Have you considered screen printing? If it will be a repetitive pattern maybe you can just create a stencil and screen print over that. Fast an efficient way to do it. But if you got different prints assuming they are personalized then creating new screens will be a pain and not worth it.

We've currently running some tests with eco solvent ink on bags with a plastic like material a bit like the blooming dale 'little brown bag'. Could be an option for you depending on what other materials you are printing on. The ink is cheap around $40 for a litre! and just needs a coating on certain surfaces which is around $20 for the litre but it lasts pretty long because its spray coated not brushed or painted on. We're exploring on different surfaces and textiles will soon be next on the list as we plan to print on socks! lol

· Registered
1,947 Posts
BTW we print cotton bags by DTG all the time. One of my printers is specialy set for this (platen, color profiles, individual conveuor dryer) There is a relly big market for this. Some people order even large 1000 pieces + because they like the quality better than screen printing.

· Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi, thanks everyone for the info. Yes you are correct about me wanting to do this on the cotton bags as I already do sublimation with my Ricoh 3110 and my dk20 press. I am wanting to break more into the wedding dept. with the tote bags for brides, bride maids etc and also shirts that say bride, Mrs. so and so etc. I have bought some cotton bags and shorts from my local wholesale distributor.

I do have a small vinyl cutter and could use the heat trasnfer vinyl but as with all my products I want to turn out quality items that will hold up if need be. Also, I want to do the ribbed type tanks and underwear and am wondering if the vinyl will stretch on those and not look good or if the ribbed part of the tank will affect the vinyl and how it lays/applies. I think I am going to just go ahead and make one of these for myself and see how it does but if I was going to be doing these more often I was just trying to see which would be the best route for the $. Screen printing seems like to much work because most everything I do is personalized with a name so I would always have to be changing that part and honestly I want a simpiler process comparable to sublimation (print and press) quick.

I watched videos with the Bn-20 and like it but it is a heafty price but if it will do what I need and be great for me in the long run I would buy it but I am not sure what the above comment means when it said smooth gradient? I like with the bn-20 to I could do window clings for weddings, labels ect but the totes, ribbed tanks, possibly sweat suits (the the brides wear while getting ready) and boy shorts will be where I think I will do the most work. So with all that info if you had to choose what to do what equipment would you choose? I will attach some pics. Thanks everyone I appreciate the time you take to answer :)

Attachments

· Registered
1,947 Posts
By smooth gradient I say that you will not be able to do graphic with smooth transition to t shirt. With BN20 as with many other solvent printer cuters you will be limit to what the printer can cut (You have a vinyl cutter so you should understand what I mean). With DTG you can have fades that fade in to the garment color itself also you can print even tiniest of elements.

· Registered
2,105 Posts
I think a BN- 20 may suit you nicely. You're already familiar with the cut and press process - it's a natural evolution.

However, if you don't want to use vinyl, then it's no good!

So, other options for individual prints are ink transfer (not considered by most to be durable) or DTG.

DTG has a learning curve and really isn't just as simple as load and print. Maintenance is certainly required to avoid disaster.

I would find a local DTG printer, get some samples made, wash and abraid the crap out of it to simulate expected use. Even rub some dirt on and wash. If you are then happy, try and negotiate a contract deal. Then put your profits towards your own machine if you really want to print them yourself.

· Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So aside from being able to print an image or graphic would the heat transfer vinyl from the bn20 have the same staying power if I just cut vinyl from my vinyl cutter? I dont know why I was thinking the bn20 would hold up better. I can ofcourse cut the text out now and simple designs like the big ring on th eback of that sweatshirt I posted. I was just worried it wouldnt hold up as well. I had made my husbands works shirts a couple of years ago before I got into sub and just but out the vinyl and put it on with an iron and i have to say for as many washes and wear and sweat ( we own a pool service business in Arizona where its 114 in the summer) and for the thin font I used it has held up not to bad considering the wear it has gotten. I was more wanting to do the printed graphics but maybe for now I should start with my vinyl cutter with basic text/designs and find someone to sub it out to as suggested.

· Registered
2,105 Posts
Personally, for the designs shown, I would go standard vinyl. Bn20 prints onto vinyl.

Pre-press with a heat press to get rid of fabric moisture, then apply as instructed.

But do your research - get samples from all the suppliers and experiment. You want to consider weeding, hand and also longevity of print.

Create a table and rating system and try them all out with a typical cut. Then wash them all together on the hardest wash cycle. Then you can find your winner!

I think for the most part, a quality vinyl will now last and feel better than even a few years back.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.