T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering? I have been using Mimaki plotter Cg-60 st to cut film for t-shirts and really like the final product.Could I use the plotter to cut vinyl for signs and do I need another use a different angle blade 36 or 56 and a whole new blade holder. Also what is the cutting strip used for.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Yes a plotter is made to cut vinyl and many other things. Yes you can cut Thermoflex on it as well as paint mask and sand blast materials. Probably a 45 blade is what you want for vinyl and you can get em for a good price on e-bay.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Where I order blades from only has 36 and 56 angle blades. I guess I would use the 56 for vinyl? Also how much different is cutting vinyl sign film as compared to t-shirt heat transfer film (small or big)?

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
sign vinyl pressure 75 to 80 depending on the mil thickness and newness of the blade. Heatpress vinyl I cut at about 110 for Thermoflex plus. The cutting is the same except you will cut the heatpress vinyl in mirror or reverse image. Sign vinyl can be tricky to weed when word characters are very small or thin and highly detailed. Heatpress vinyl like thermoflex is easier to weed intricate characters and thin detailed fornts because the carrier mylar backing has a sticky adhesive. Sign vinyl has no adhesive on the backing paper...its on the vinyl itself.

·
Registered
140 Posts
The cutting strip is what holds uniform pressure to the bottom of the material you are cutting. Press your finger down on a table, the table acts like the cutting strip letting you know how hard you are pressing.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Also important to change that cutting strip when you begin to get inaccurate cuts. Replacement goes for about $15. When changing between different degrees of blades, be sure to adjust your offset accordingly. 56 Degree is usually for thicker or coarser materials.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was wondering could it be possible to cut stencils from a plotter. What kind of film or paper would you use (Mylar,Acate,Bristol Board?)If so what settings could be used on the plotter. Just wondering.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Understand that a cuttur is cutting a two ply material...example...sign vinyl has two layers, top layer is the actual vinyl, bottom layer is the carrier paper. The blade only cuts the top layer and should never penetrate the bottom layer. I believe there is some materials you could use. For a one time shot there is regular vinyl or paint mask. I have never looked into the sand blast material but that might be better for stencils. There may be other products out there specifically for the stencil purpose but I just couldnt say for certain. Remeber the right blade and offset for the right material.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts