T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i came across the above technology on the internet but can't find much info when i did a search on this forum. :( what's the difference between Dye Sub and Digital Dye Sub? it uses laser printer? thanks for any help.

·
Registered
380 Posts
There are different methods of printing dye sublimation transfers.

Offset
Screen Print
Inkjet
Laser

Offset and screen printed transfers are very cost effective for producing large quantities of the same print. Inkjet and laser are more of a "digital" approach to dye sublimation. With either you can print a single transfer or print thousands of personalized transfers.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
cprvh said:
Hmm, I hadn't thought about that before. So with the other methods (screen printing for example) you'd print using appropriate dye sublimation inks onto a carrier paper more or less as per normal? What would the advantage of that be? Just the fact that it's cost effective? It seems like adding the complication and limitations of screen printing with little gain?

It's not something I've really heard of before, so it's interesting to think about.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
cprvh said:

Offset
Screen Print
Inkjet
Laser

Offset and screen printed transfers are very cost effective for producing large quantities of the same print. Inkjet and laser are more of a "digital" approach to dye sublimation. With either you can print a single transfer or print thousands of personalized transfers.
I can see commercial digital printing in quantity for dye-sub production. I can see it for oversized production as well...like wake boards, snowboards etc. I am wondering about the screenprinting of dye-sub and why someone would want that done? With digital printing, color blends and virtually no limitations on design wouldnt that eliminate the need for screens and all that goes with it. Could you post some examples of the processes? Any info would be appreciated...love to learn the techniques and why they are chosen over others.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I had used screen printed dye sublimation transfers three or four years ago for for some shirts. These were just a one color transfer. We needed approx. 600 transfers with heavy coverage and the screen printed transfers priced out better than offset printed transfers.

We had a local screen printer (who is gone now) print them for us. I have no idea what brands of inks they were using.

·
Registered
245 Posts
MotoskinGraphix said:
I can see commercial digital printing in quantity for dye-sub production. I can see it for oversized production as well...like wake boards, snowboards etc. I am wondering about the screenprinting of dye-sub and why someone would want that done? With digital printing, color blends and virtually no limitations on design wouldnt that eliminate the need for screens and all that goes with it. Could you post some examples of the processes? Any info would be appreciated...love to learn the techniques and why they are chosen over others.
All that cool looking art on wake boards, snow boards, skis, skate boards is there because of screenprinting dye-sub inks. The kicker is that it is not applied to the boards by a heat press. The transfer is applied to a vinyl like material with a roller heat press. This material is in a roll and is shipped to board manufacture. The material is added during the layering process.

Remember, dye-sub has been around for a long time. What is new is digital/desktop (ink-jet) dye-sub printing.

Knowledge = no limitations or at least workable solution.

Screen printing is cheaper from the inks to faster output when printing hundreds of the same image.

That 1 up design for one-of-a-kind board is done on a Epson but cost $200+ and that just for the transfer.

The downside of screenprinting is that 1 color is printed then needs to air dry before the next color.

I'll see if I get pictures in week or 2.

Mark

·
Registered
380 Posts
PrintMonkey said:
That 1 up design for one-of-a-kind board is done on a Epson but cost $200+ and that just for the transfer.
I must be missing something here. $200 just for a transfer? I have printed snowboard transfers for customers, but I have only charged them about $20.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
I would think a large format digital printer would replace screenprint dye sub altogether...especially if printing on vinyl for transfer. The roller process must be the key. Question is how is the ink sublimated to the substrate without a heat process?

·
Registered
380 Posts
Dye sublimation requires a heat press. The large format printers print onto roll transfer paper which is then loaded together with rolled fabric and run through a rotary heat press. I believe that some are direct printing onto the fabric and then running through the rotary press.

I agree with you that the large format inkjets should replace any screen printed dye sub transfers. The Mimakis can spit out 300+ shirts per hour!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts