T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whwn producing bitmapped artwork i know that using halftones at 45 lpi is a good way of getting fine detail. I know that if an image isnt halftones that rip software wil output it to screens at a similar line count to create photographic gradient type artwork.
My question is when/why is it better to use diuffusion dither as a bitmapper for photoshop artwork. If you had some grayscale gradient or other detailed artwork it seems the diffusion dither is a little finer in its detail?yet most people talk about halftones,is there a better time to use on e and no the other?? thanks

· Registered
46 Posts
The problem is that the dots from diffusion dither are generally a little bit too small to pick up successfully on screens.

Sizes of halftone dots can be controlled to allow for more flexibility when it comes to mesh size.

· Registered
13 Posts
Rabbitdog is right. Dithers offer a smaller pattern in general so your screen department has to have the skill to put the image on the screen. Screen tension is a huge variable. Ink viscosity helps on the floor.

That said, the dither pattern allows for nice soft feathered edges if you can burn the screen.

· Registered
13 Posts
The attached images were done for the 1996 Olympics. They were all tricked out with PShop/Alien skin filters. They were all dithered at 151 ppi. It looks rough on screen but prints like heaven. The detail was great.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.