T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi T-shirt Forum Members,

I just encountered a difficult and cheap customer and want to share with you my experience.

This customer wants a 6 pieces of shirts (2 Mens tee, 1 Ladies Tee, 1 Lady Tanks, 2 youth tees) and all of them are personalized order. It is 1 inch graphics that I have to create a 11 inches version for the shirt, and I did not charge an artwork fee. By the way this is a friend of a friend who is a good client, so I gave them a BIG discount and since I want to promote the quality of my products, I gave it to them with a tiny profit.

So I placed an order to the t-shirt vendor and it turned out that the color for the adult t-shirt is not available but they have the one closest to that shade. I looked at the color and it's very slight difference. So I told this client about the color availability. Then the client said, since we are not getting the color we want, can you give me a discount?

I told them that I did already give them a big discount in the beginning, and the availability of the t-shirt is beyond my control since the vendor will only tell me once I placed the order if it is in stock or not. That's why I am informing you that these are the only available colors and it's for you to decided if you want it or not.

Then they still insist that they deserve a discount!

So I just told them if they still want to continue with the order or not, and they did.

This is a good lesson for me and perhaps for other start-up businesses.

Thank you for reading my story. I will appreciate if you can give me comment or advice, or share your own story.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for all your input, it is good reinforcement. I followed Michele's advice for showing the regular price against discount, that is a great way to show that you gave a good deal and at the same time have control over the next purchase using regular price. I love this forum! Thanks to all!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Michelle was right...and in a similar vein....I never, ever give discounts to schools, charities etc....but I tell them I will give 10% or 15%...depending on size of order...back to them in cash after payment... I can then take credit for contribution on tax return...this is according to my tax guy...and he has not got me in trouble yet!
Thank you Charles, another bright idea! But how do you declare it in the tax? Can you site and example like if they purchase items worth $1,000 and you gave them a 10% discount cash after payment... then?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well said Will, it's always best to stick to your prices, let someone else deal with the discount customers, they are usually the worst to deal with, things are more likely to go wrong and they give the biggest headaches!
I do agree! Another client I encounter is they want a 100 pcs personalized tote with front and back imprint, but using different designs so it's two screens. I gave them a good price, the standard price that other product promotions company give. They said those type of totes worth only $99 cents each at the grocery store! Then I have to explain that those big groceries like Vons, Albertsons, Walmart did a volume orders not just a hundred pieces.

After 1 week they called me again if I can give it to them for 99 cents each no setup fee, 2 locations, 2 different designs for 100 pcs. and they want the tote to come in assorted colors like 10 blue, 10 red, 10 white, etc.

So what will be my response for this my fellow t-shirt forum members?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Any tips on a civil way to tell your customers that will create an impact on them to realize that their demands are impossible?

Do you have a famous line to your customers that challenges them and made them buy your product on the price you set? Car dealers are good at these, but with regards to t-shirt printing entrepreneurs, what do you say to them?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.