T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
I understand why you gave a discount to this customer. Sometimes, even when it's against our general policy to do that, we have reasons why we do it.

One thing I do, if I give a discount, is show it clearly on the invoice. I create the invoice at what the regular price would be, and then place the discounts at the bottom.

Usually for me, this will be waiving a rush charge, or an art-work charge.

I just like to make sure the customer knows I'm giving them a discount. I think it's important especially if you think this customer will be a repeat customer -- so than when they place their next order, and you charge your regular price, they don't think your prices have gone up. If they say for example, "I didn't have to pay a rush charge last time", I can respond with "that was an introductory offer, as stated on your invoice".

·
Registered
721 Posts
I do agree! Another client I encounter is they want a 100 pcs personalized tote with front and back imprint, but using different designs so it's two screens. I gave them a good price, the standard price that other product promotions company give. They said those type of totes worth only $99 cents each at the grocery store! Then I have to explain that those big groceries like Vons, Albertsons, Walmart did a volume orders not just a hundred pieces.

After 1 week they called me again if I can give it to them for 99 cents each no setup fee, 2 locations, 2 different designs for 100 pcs. and they want the tote to come in assorted colors like 10 blue, 10 red, 10 white, etc.

So what will be my response for this my fellow t-shirt forum members?
I would simply tell them no. It's not incumbent upon me to explain or apoligize for my pricing. The price is the price, and the customer can choose to purchase from me or not. When a customer tells me that they can get it a X price someplace else, I usually say "well, that's a really great price...if I were you, I would go there".

Acutally, I would not want this customer to order from me. Customers who want something for nothing will usually find fault no matter what.

·
Registered
721 Posts
What a great Question!

I would love to hear what works. I do sublimation which makes selling shirts for $13.00 sometimes impossible. I just sold 16 shirts to a hockey team the other day that took over a month for them to finally come back. My strengths were no screen fees and no extra charge for extra colors but it wasn't until he shopped all over that he came back to me. They love the shirts and now are ordering long sleeves and water bottles. I wish I had the skills to have sold him the first time around.
Those are exactly the kinds of situations that will help you develop those skills, so be patient with yourself. The fact that you realized that you had an opportunity to upsell says that you will be more aware of that next time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.