T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a an order coming up and Im looking at two different t shirts. One is a Gildan 6.1oz 100% and the other is a Port and Company 100%. Not sure on weight.(older shirt from customer) I have both in my hands right now and the Port/Co feels twice as thick and twice as heavy. Ive gone to sites that sells Port/Co and looks like the heaviest weight is 6.1oz. Does anybody know if they made a super weight? OR is there that much difference between the 6.1oz shirts?

Larry

·
Registered
968 Posts
If they are same 6.1oz weight per square inch, both shirts shouldn't have any difference except their size isn't same, so total weight of shirt will be different.

Also, 6.1oz shirts can be called medium weight tees, some super heavy tees is much heavier than it, will be suitable to wear in cold weather, and be wearable.

Bill

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Both are exlarge.

I guess I need to read up on how the determine weight on t shirts. I think I saw a post about that subject lately.

Thanks,

Larry

·
Registered
815 Posts
Got a an order coming up and Im looking at two different t shirts. One is a Gildan 6.1oz 100% and the other is a Port and Company 100%. Not sure on weight.(older shirt from customer) I have both in my hands right now and the Port/Co feels twice as thick and twice as heavy. Ive gone to sites that sells Port/Co and looks like the heaviest weight is 6.1oz. Does anybody know if they made a super weight? OR is there that much difference between the 6.1oz shirts?

Larry
There some differences in the feel even though the weight is the same. Give SanMar a call and I am sure that they would love to go into details of the Port and Company fabric.

·
Registered
679 Posts
If they are same 6.1oz weight per square inch, both shirts shouldn't have any difference except their size isn't same, so total weight of shirt will be different.

Also, 6.1oz shirts can be called medium weight tees, some super heavy tees is much heavier than it, will be suitable to wear in cold weather, and be wearable.

Bill
How can 6.1oz be the weight per square inch, when an entire medium t-shirt weights around 6oz? Isn't the weight per square yard?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all.

I just weighted the actual shirts on a digital scale
The Gildan came in at 8.2 oz and the port/co came in at 9.6oz Thats definitely are difference.

Larry

·
Registered
968 Posts
Hi Larry,

Do you have the digital machine to measure up the fabric oz per square yard? I doubt one of them isn't correctly mark as the supplier said 6.1 oz.

Meanwhile, even if they are same XL tee, maybe their specs sheet are a bit difference in defining XL. Many factors.

Bill

·
Registered
216 Posts
Hi Larry

Mind if I stick my 2c worth in? Bear in mind I am not a printer, nor a t-shirt vendor but I do manufacture clothing so my viewpoint might be a little different. If it were me checking out the t-shirts, I'd obviously worry about how they feel now but more to the point I would be concerened about how they are going to hold up over time as it seems a crying shame to do the work of printing on them and then find that they don't do your work justice in the longer term.

I would mark out a 10cm (4") square on both Ts either with a laundry marker or tack it with thread and then wash and dry both t-shirts a minimum of four times each or 6 times each if possible. The reason you mark out the square is so that you can mearsure them again after the washing and determine how much the fabric has shrunk/stretched. Yes the fabrics should have been pre-shrunk before the garments were made, but I say it is better to be safe than sorry. And yes, I do do this with every fabric I use in my garments; one fabric was accidentally boiled washed (oops).

The final reason for the washing / drying is that it will give you a good idea about how the stitching holds up under regular laundry conditions.

Best of luck with your shirts.

Kim

·
Registered
968 Posts
Hi Kim

Your point to clarify how to test material shrinkage is absolutely right.

But the main problem larry came across is tees weight. He got 2 tees, in same size, now matter how is shrink pecentage, finally, the 2 tees are same specs now, they called same oz per square yard, but in different total weight of each tee. I may think the main cause is the fabric oz/yard2 is not accurate as marked. If you have a testing machine and get one of them measure up real oz per square yard.

Bill

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just weighted the actually weight of full shirt. The gildan is a brand new shirt and the port/co is an old shirt that has been washed many times.

I guess I'll have to get ahold of Sanmar to get a port/co shirt. or try and find one online.

Thanks for the techniques about tested shirts.

Larry

1 - 11 of 11 Posts