T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend asked me what's the difference between heat press and print screened.

Here is the response I sent him...and I want to make sure the info I gave him his accurate enough to make a decision on what kind of shirts he wants for his motorcycle club.

"Ok let me see if I can explain the diff between heat pressed and print screen.

With heat pressing you can take any image...like a picture of your bike..or any photograph....or any artwork and it is applied to the shirt using a heat transfer. it lasts about 60-100 washes (or about 2 years) before it starts cracking or fading. It's smooth to the touch. Basically you print out the image..and press it.
I have the machine to do these and can do them for you.

With print screening. They can not put certain images on shirts...like they can't put an actual picture. But they can put letters, words, and graphics up to 3 colors (or more if you have more screens). They use a special fabric paint which goes right into the fabric. It feels like fabric when you touch it.

These last for a couple hundred washes before it starts cracking because it's paint on not a transfer. I don't have the equipment for this because its HUGE and wont' fit in my apartment. Plus costs alot more.
It's little more expensive than heat pressed shirts because takes some time to set up each screen to have the images you need on the shirts. (one color per screen) Mix the paint to apply each color to each shirt and then dry the shirts using a "flash dryer" (or light).

So because heat pressing is cheaper to do - it's easier to do small quantities...Like 1 shirt if I want. But the shirts don't last as long as silk screen shirts.

Silk screen is a little more expensive because it takes alot more time to make each shirt... But silk screens do them in large quantities. The more you buy..they less they will charge you."

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: I just sent this info to a friend.. Want to make sure I was correct

Wow..I didn't even know that.

What happens if the photo is more than 4 colors?

I wasn't trying to down-play print screening by the way.

I believe that it's superior to any other method
If fact..I hope to save up enough money to buy some equipment one day.

Just not right now... :eek:

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah... ^ those answers above are the reason why I'm learning to really love this site!

I'm learning many new things everyday!

Thanks..I'm going to study this so I know for any future.

oh yeah..."print screen" was a major typo.. (damn dixlexia!)

Ken

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.