T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if there is a difference between silk screens and aluminum? I'm considering buying this startup kit from screenprintingsupplies.com
Includes:
- 20 x 24 Aluminum Screen with 110 Mesh
- 14" Scoop Coater
- 1 Qt. Ulano QTX ready to use Emulsion
- 1 Roll Screen Tape
- 1 8 oz. bottle of Blockout Fluid

Would using this be just like using silk screens? And what is blockout fluid? and screen tape?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
There are two basic screens, there both silkscreens the difference is the frame, one is wooden the other is made out of aluminum. Block out is used to prevent ink from going where you don't want it on the print surface like a thin layer of emulsion, and tape is used so it doesn't go outside the screens on the edges or pin holes in the burnt screen.
John.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Aluminum frames are more durable, You can use youre inkjet with some tracing to start with, tho they can jam in your printer so be careful. I was able to get some pretty decent halftones for special effects. When you start making money upgrade your printer..Another thing about screens is dont cheap out and get warped, crappy cuz it will show in your final work ie. blurry etc. Screening doest have to behigh tech to get some decent jobs done. I was able to make over a hundred an hour on small runs with homemade, low tech stuff.
It is nice to have good equipment tho'..less frustrating. So earn some money and upgrade = ) and most of all....enjoy the process..as it can be challenging.
Good Luck.
-g-
P.s blockout is if you get pinhole you can block them out ,but your emulsion does the same thing.
Screentape is for taping the gutters on the outer edges of the ink side...protects the screen adhesive from screenwash, pressure wash etc.
What i do is apply one coat of emulsionto the bottom of screen, let dry..burn. 500w halogens burn good enough from about 18'' for about 15 mins. I dont know how much you know about printing, but this forum is the place to learn.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I suggest buying aluminum screens as they last longer. Wooden screens tend to warp due to wear and tear + reclaiming. Aluminum screens are a bit more expensive though.

The mesh on both aluminum and wooden screens are identical.

Have you checked Ryonet AKA silkscreeningsupplies.com youtube videos? They cover some basics on their videos which should help you better understand.

Ulano QTX is a fast exposing emulsion. Although great, it is not recommended if you are using a make-shift exposure unit as it needs an accurate spec, each time otherwise you risk over or under-exposing. Try using their CCI dual cure emulsion, it gives more room for error.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts